How much should I charge for this?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 7031, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 7031 macrumors 6502

I'm doing this website design for a neighbour's business in artist management and promotion, and I was wondering how much I should charge them for it. They are going to be covering hosting costs etc themselves, but how much do you think I should charge for the actual designing of the site?

www.KLPromotions.com - The website

And no, it's not finished yet, but I'm interested in an estimate for when I do finish.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Shouldn't you have determined this beforehand? I don't see this ending well.

3. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

our website was done for $1500, you have to determine the cost of the site yourself really?

How long do you think it will take? how much will you charge per hour?

Is it a template or custom coded website?

Will you need to pay for stock photos or will images be provided?

Its not as simple as how much should I charge

4. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fair point really. We've already agreed on the hosting costs etc, but this is starting to worry me, since they've informed us that we do have competition, and I honestly have no idea what they plan on charging, should they switch over to them.
    Fair points really. I've spent about 2 weeks so far on and off due to school etc. The website is custom coded, and the images were provided by the person who runs the company, since they wanted images relating to their clients etc.

5. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

vERY Nice site man... Couple thoughts that came to mind were,

Clean look

Was able to understand/ navigate the site

...... As far as a charge go..umm.... 3k ;)

But like the 1st person said do numbers before you build not after it's built.

Good site though

GREAT JOB

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

$150 would not be unreasonable for what you have so far.

I assume the client gallery will eventually be linked to a database or something; that should be factored into your estimate.
    (there's not much point to having a flash gallery of thumbnails that do nothing)
    BTW, you should enable smoothing for the images in the client gallery; they'll look a lot cleaner.

Personally, I wouldn't put another minutes work into this until you have a signed contract and at least a 50% deposit.

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

If it helps you, I charge a flat $800.00 dollars to cover programming and graphics costs. I scale that price up based on the following criteria: data migration, additional features, administrative options, dynamic pages, SEO, user management, etc.

A CMS design from me costs around $1700.00 - $2500.00 USD. People seem to like my prices compared to the people that charge 8000.00 for a CMS.

Hope this helps you :)

ps: what you need to do is collaborate with your client to see if they like the design, and/or if they want to change it. I personally think it needs a little work (assuming you made the layout), but that is only opinion and should be taken as a suggestion. For what I see that would be an $800.00 dollar site in my price book.

8. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have been sending emails back and fourth between the client discussing changes. Can I ask, what changes would you suggest for this layout? Is there anything specific, or is that just a general suggestion?

9. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

so you did klproductions.com not dakota.co.uk?