How Much Should I Charge?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I'm working on a friend's computer, actually two of them, and I basically am done, just waiting for Spybot to finish up.

I've been here for two and a half hours configuring their wireless network, set up encryption, updated their computers, installed some AntiSpyware software, updated their computer, and hassled with Vista. They want to pay so I was think about $75? Does that seem reasonable? I don't necessarily have a set rate because I haven't officially gone into the computer fixing business, but I'm trying to think of what others would charge and what a good deal would be.

Any ideas/suggestions?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
2 computers for 2.5 hours? with Vista?

ask for $100.

i don't know what your time is worth to you (or others), but this is probably around what i would charge depending on the people, what specifically i did for them, etc.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
For friends and family I do not charge anything except maybe a coffee and lunch if offered. For people I don't know I charge about $100 for that length of work.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
2 computers for 2.5 hours? with Vista?

ask for $100.

i don't know what your time is worth to you (or others), but this is probably around what i would charge depending on the people, what specifically i did for them, etc.

I'd add a couple zeros because of Vista :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
For friends and family I do not charge anything except maybe a coffee and lunch if offered. For people I don't know I charge about $100 for that length of work.
When my sister wanted to upgrade to vista, which took about 5 hours i didn't charge anything she just gave me cups of tea and cooked me a nice cottage pic. I don't charge friends either.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Alright, I think I'll go with $100. One computer had Vista and the other had XP. Compared to Vista, I love XP. Pure simplicity for the most part. But then there's my Mac.

And they won't let me go without getting paid, so that's out of the option.

Thanks guys.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I think $100 sounds like a reasonable amount. I have no idea what the going rate is but I'd pay someone that amount to fix my computer if it was needed. It won't make you rich but if your friends tell their other friends and family it might get you a bit more business, which is bound to be good.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I think $100 sounds like a reasonable amount. I have no idea what the going rate is but I'd pay someone that amount to fix my computer if it was needed. It won't make you rich but if your friends tell their other friends and family it might get you a bit more business, which is bound to be good.
Yep, word of mouth is always good. $100 is a deal compared to things like Best Buy's Geek Squad or CC's Firedog thing where it's like $50/hour just to come out, not counting any other things wrong with it.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
$20-$50 per hour is reasonable
its a sliding scale based on complexity and how much can the person afford.
My dentist for example gets charged $50 per hour to update his ibook once a month. But my neighbour gets charged a coffee at starbucks ( he works there)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
My best friend's mother once asked me for computer help over the phone. When I resolved her problem, my friend told me his mom was wondering if I wanted payment. That was completely out of the question for me, but I did jokingly say "tell her I only accept payment in jellybeans".

Well, a few weeks later, a huge package arrived in the mail...

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I will not charge friends and family anything for any work, if it takes that long i will just do it whle watching a movie or just while hanging out.

A friend in in need is a friend in deed

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I wouldn't charge a friend or family member that much. (They might as well have hired GeekSquad to do it at that price) Personally, I'd either do it for free or be satisfied to have a night out with them, etc.
It's a reasonable amount... for a professional to do it, not a friend.

my 2 pennies.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I will not charge friends and family anything for any work, if it takes that long i will just do it whle watching a movie or just while hanging out.

A friend in in need is a friend in deed
I'd never charge a friend or family member that much. (They might as well have hired GeekSquad to do it at that price) I'd either do it for free or be satisfied to have a night out with them, etc.

my 2 pennies.
agreed. you never charge friends or family. they can insist on payment all they want; you can still refuse. besides, you don't want to be known as the friend who charges money for these things.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I wouldn't charge a friend or family member that much. (They might as well have hired GeekSquad to do it at that price) Personally, I'd either do it for free or be satisfied to have a night out with them, etc.

my 2 pennies.
Exacly. The "friendly" thing to say would be "Aw, buy me dinner sometime" and walk away. Of course there is always the possibility that they will keep asking you to help them with this or that, but you can deal with that later, IF it happens.
For a stranger? Vista?
Don't whore yourself... charge the going rate of 80-100 bucks an hour for PRO work, if you do PRO work.