How Much Should I Charge?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zflauaus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm working on a friend's computer, actually two of them, and I basically am done, just waiting for Spybot to finish up.

I've been here for two and a half hours configuring their wireless network, set up encryption, updated their computers, installed some AntiSpyware software, updated their computer, and hassled with Vista. They want to pay so I was think about $75? Does that seem reasonable? I don't necessarily have a set rate because I haven't officially gone into the computer fixing business, but I'm trying to think of what others would charge and what a good deal would be.

Any ideas/suggestions?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

2 computers for 2.5 hours? with Vista?

ask for $100.

i don't know what your time is worth to you (or others), but this is probably around what i would charge depending on the people, what specifically i did for them, etc.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

For friends and family I do not charge anything except maybe a coffee and lunch if offered. For people I don't know I charge about $100 for that length of work.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'd charge a six pack and 2 packs of smarties.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd add a couple zeros because of Vista :D

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When my sister wanted to upgrade to vista, which took about 5 hours i didn't charge anything she just gave me cups of tea and cooked me a nice cottage pic. I don't charge friends either.

7. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, I think I'll go with $100. One computer had Vista and the other had XP. Compared to Vista, I love XP. Pure simplicity for the most part. But then there's my Mac.

And they won't let me go without getting paid, so that's out of the option.

Thanks guys.

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I think $100 sounds like a reasonable amount. I have no idea what the going rate is but I'd pay someone that amount to fix my computer if it was needed. It won't make you rich but if your friends tell their other friends and family it might get you a bit more business, which is bound to be good.

9. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, word of mouth is always good. $100 is a deal compared to things like Best Buy's Geek Squad or CC's Firedog thing where it's like $50/hour just to come out, not counting any other things wrong with it.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

$20-$50 per hour is reasonable
    its a sliding scale based on complexity and how much can the person afford.
    My dentist for example gets charged $50 per hour to update his ibook once a month. But my neighbour gets charged a coffee at starbucks ( he works there)

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My best friend's mother once asked me for computer help over the phone. When I resolved her problem, my friend told me his mom was wondering if I wanted payment. That was completely out of the question for me, but I did jokingly say "tell her I only accept payment in jellybeans".

Well, a few weeks later, a huge package arrived in the mail...

12. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Just tell them "I need about Tree fidy" :D

But somewhere in the ballpark of $100 is reasonable

13. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I will not charge friends and family anything for any work, if it takes that long i will just do it whle watching a movie or just while hanging out.

A friend in in need is a friend in deed

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wouldn't charge a friend or family member that much. (They might as well have hired GeekSquad to do it at that price) Personally, I'd either do it for free or be satisfied to have a night out with them, etc.
    It's a reasonable amount... for a professional to do it, not a friend.

my 2 pennies.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

agreed. you never charge friends or family. they can insist on payment all they want; you can still refuse. besides, you don't want to be known as the friend who charges money for these things.

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

Please don't take any money from friends or family. Let them buy you lunch sometimes.

17. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Exacly. The "friendly" thing to say would be "Aw, buy me dinner sometime" and walk away. Of course there is always the possibility that they will keep asking you to help them with this or that, but you can deal with that later, IF it happens.
    For a stranger? Vista?
    Don't whore yourself... charge the going rate of 80-100 bucks an hour for PRO work, if you do PRO work.