Price Advice How much should I pay for a 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NaiGuy, Nov 4, 2014.

1. NaiGuy macrumors newbie

So there is a mac pro at my work place that I am interested in. The model is a 2008 (3,1) 3.0GHz Eight Core model. It currently doesn't have a hard drive and I would like to buy it as is without the HD as everything seems to be working and I have plenty of spare HDs lying around. What should I offer as a price for it?

2. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

How much RAM, which video card, does it have 1 or 2 DVD drives, and does it include an Airport/Bluetooth card?

I'm not totally up on prices but I think I've seen an average configuration for that model going for $700-800. More for maxed RAM and upgraded video card.

3. NaiGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not positive on the ram amount. It looks to have the stock Radeon Card, 2 DVD Drives and I don't think it has an Airport Card. I think i saw it recently going for about $600 stock, but I wanted to look into what other people think its worth before I throw an offer for it out there.

4. GearHeadG5 macrumors newbie

Like he said before about the RAM and video card. It really isn't worth more than $600. I would probably say that it's worth $500-550. I paid $580 for a 2009 Mac Pro almost a year ago just for reference.

5. SamuraiArtGuy macrumors regular

SamuraiArtGuy

sounds about right

I just picked up a Used Pro on eBay as a secondary workstation to replace a failing Power Mac G5...

$450 for a 2.8 Gz, Mac Pro 3,1 - 8 GB Ram, 750 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB....

So the numbers we're kicking around here sound about in the right ballpark.

6. NaiGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of making an offer of $450 for it, maybe going to $600 at max but hoping I can pay $400-500 for it. The thing is in excellent condition as far as I can tell, but it was very dusty. It posts. But that's all I can say about it, there was no HD so without putting in an HD and installing an OS I can't say how it would run.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Without knowing if it works with a drive installed it's worth the parts cost.

Point that out and start at like $250 - and mention the risk you're taking in buying it at all.