How much should I pay for this 2.4 Alu MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, May 18, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

Guys I need your advice.

I was going to wait for WWDC to buy an alu macbook but just for kicks I kept my eye out on craigslist.

I found a 3 month old ALU MB 2.4 with 4gig of ram and Apple Care.

How much should I pay for this?

I read earlier another poster sold his 2.0 similar specs shipped for 880. I realize this is a 2.4 however.

They guy originally posted it at 1600. This is because he bought it new, with apple care from the apple store and with the upgraded 4gig of ram. He paid over 2k after tax.

My take is that if I were to buy this new today it would cost me

1299 refurb 2.4
    60 ram upgrade
    100 applecare from ebay.

With tax that comes down to 1550 (only tax on MB)

This is however a used MB and I suspect that there might be a moderate speed bump at WWDC and maybe a small price drop (100-150).

At the very least, if there is a speed bump to 2.53 for example, the 2.4s would be dropped in price as a "special deal" since it would be older gen so to speak.

I had the owner check the screen to make sure it isn't one of the older ones people complain about.

Barring any major defects/damage, how much would you pay for this MB?

2. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I'd pay full price if it's only 3 months old...

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Note that there have been a few AppleCare scams on eBay lately. I would say no more than $1500.

4. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

There's nothing wrong with the 9C89 screen, really. I have one and as long as you have a decent color profile loaded, it looks fine. I think a lot of picky people have made this seem like much more of an issue than it really is :)

6. UnderLoK macrumors newbie

Honestly, it would have to be more than $100 less than the price of a referb for me to consider it. The hassle/risk alone (for me) has to exceed 15% to even consider it.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I agree. Buying from the manufacturer is far safer than buying from another person. It ensures that the machine works prior to shipping, has no water damage, no external damage, and no major defective parts. Plus an extension of three months on your warranty.

8. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Just buy from Apple or a retailer if the saving is not that huge

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

That is why Apple Macs do not have as good resale value as many people believe them to be. ;)

10. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the store and compared the 9c89 screen to the macbook air.

Night and day. Lots of faded blacks in the 9c89.

How much is fixed by calibration? Otherwise its not worth it for me.

11. UnderLoK macrumors newbie

The Pros still seem to sell pretty high though. Resale has never concerned me as I have yet to sell an old computer... Although that isn't necessarily a good thing, I have something like 9 computers... haha

12. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I've compared my screen, a 9C5E, with a 9C89 and the difference is subtle, but noticeable. Regardless, I noticed a seemingly higher contrast with slightly darker blacks. If you bought a refurb MacBook, there is a slight chance that you may receive one of the newer screens which undoubtably look better. My MacBook is three months old evidenced by the serial number.

Calibration can fix a lot of the issues as the default is severely washed out. There are a few threads on here advocating the use of these profiles, some by other users, of which the Spyder profiles are my favorite.