How much should I pay for this (old Macbook)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frogbeastegg, Nov 10, 2009.

1. frogbeastegg macrumors newbie

I'm being offered a choice of two 2006 Macbook 13" models, and I was thinking of getting one for myself and maybe the other for another family member to use when traveling. I use a Mac Pro, my first Mac, and not too familiar with the early laptop models nor what they currently sell for. How much is too much to pay for one or both of these? I'm interested in the white model noticeably.

First is a white model, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 80GB, 1GB memory. The second is a black, uncertain specifics and is older.

Sorry, if this makes no sense. I will try again if not. I think my English is getting better. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Keep in mind too that the Core Duo Macbooks had their quirks. "Moo-ing" is one.. yellow palm rests was another big deal. I seem to remember people talking about high pitched CPU noise from the Core Duos too, but that may have been just MBPs of that era.

4. frogbeastegg thread starter macrumors newbie

What is "Moo-ing"? With the $400, advice, I asked. I am told that I can get it for $320. I don't know what is "Moo-ing" though. :confused:

Also, thanks!

Ok. I know what is "Moo-ing" now. I found a post on this fora.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

320 seems like a good deal. Just make sure you test it before you buy it because thats cheap for a macbook

6. JonTok macrumors newbie

The specs for the white one mean that it is one of the very first batch of machines - which might be a problem for some people but if it's still working OK then $320 sounds OK to me. Just give it a good testing first.

The black MB will probably just have a bigger hard drive.

7. Andy348 macrumors 6502

White MBs are down to $320?!?!

I paid 899 for mine a year ago (albeit from apple)

8. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

I got mine for 87 english pounds, ;) Pays to look about :p

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

When I bought my old PoweBook (about 3 months ago) I paid $299. I couldn't find a Macbook anywhere remotely close to that price (on eBay) - the cheapest I found was close to $600.

I'd LOVE to buy a Macbook for under $400!

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Paid 899 for what spec model?

I'm sure this one for 320 most likey has the gma9500 graphics. Not really worth it when Apple had a refurb(w/1 year warranty) w/core2duo for $699 recently and MUCH better graphics. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that core duo model.

11. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Just an FYI similar spec'd Macbook Core Duo's are selling on Ebay for anywhere between $400 and $550 depending on the specs and what is included. I am trying to sell one of these and I just saw a Core Duo 2.0GHZ with 80GB and 2MB Ram without the apple remote for $560 including $20 shipping.

I would say that $320 is a pretty awesome deal.

12. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Why couldn't I find a Macbook Core Duo for $400 when I bought my PowerBook? I was looking for a "netbook" (a machine just for Internet browsing, and BTW, I had owned an HP Mini and HATED it - I'm much happier with the PB) and would have loved to have found ANY Macbook...

EDIT: I wish I could've found a GOOD CONDITION Macbook for $400... I see plenty of beat-up or parts machines for that price. My PowerBook looked brand new - the cheapest Macbooks I see in similar condition are $499...

13. frogbeastegg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice, it's really helped me. I'm getting these (still not sure if I'm getting both) from a friend of my girlfriend's, so I will have time to test out. Getting new battery also. Is this a hint at a problem, or no? My girlfriend is good friends with the person, but I still want to verify everything. :D

Again, thanks everyone.

I won't be using the laptop for anything graphics heavy.