How much should I pay for web app development?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JasonDawg18, Dec 7, 2008.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Hi guys,

First off, I hope this doesn't break the forum rules - I'm not soliciting any of you designing - I just need some advice.

I'm wanting to create a VERY simple web app for my church. It would essentially be four main navigation links: 1. About the Church, 2. News & Info 3. Daily Devotional and 4. Donate Online (though PayPal).

The first and fourth pages would be static (always the same) - just basic text/links/logo.

The second and third pages would be RSS based, and would import info from my church's blog and from an online devotional source.

I'm a graphic designer - not a developer. I have NO idea how much I should pay to get this done, and am just looking for guidelines as to what you think this would cost. Also, do you have any sites you would recommend for finding & hiring developers?

Thanks!

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Really depends on how much effort is put into the design, etc. I'd say maybe five or so hours to get something that looks decently sharp.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Web base application with AJAX can be developed quite easily through Joomla for free, or few hours for someone with experience in Joomla.

4. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Probably around the $200 to $300 mark depending on the amount of work that needs to be done.

5. JasonDawg18 thread starter macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Any suggestion for places to find a developer? Would it be different than just hiring a web designer?

I've looked at "freelance" designer websites, and many of them are from India, and want $20/hour. I guess I don't know enough about this... Any suggestions are welcome.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Not exactly an answer to your question, but are there people in your congregation who could help? Even teenagers looking for some web experience might be able to do the job you need. I'd sooner hire someone locally than spend money on someone I've never met, let alone a freelancer from India. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd like to have someone local I can work with.

7. JasonDawg18 thread starter macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

I agree with you. Is this something a web designer can do, or would i need a developer?

8. Photomax macrumors regular

Jason,

Looking at your list of pages for the site I really don't think you need a developer per se. I think one of the free open source CMS platforms will do nicely.

There are a lot of blurred lines between "developers" and "designers" and sometimes the lingo gets confusing. I would strive to keep your project simple. I would also try to use someone local instead of outsourcing the project to India etc. Not that some of these guys don't do a good job, its just that I think a local person who knows the language and can be available today and tomorrow is important.

Like someone suggested I would spread the word around the church itself and maybe a good source will pop up. A think a nice design will be more important than a lot of dynamic bells and whistles. I did this site on the cheap: http://banagroup.org/ It is a static site with some forms but adding a dynamic element would be doable...

9. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

@OP:

You might want to checkout this bid site for freelance web designers and developers. You join, post your project for free, and others bid on it.

Beyond that, expect $20 - $75.00 per hour for freelance rates and make sure there is a contract, no matter whom you select. The better ones will talk in depth with you, possibly do a prototype, implement and test. The lousy ones just always say "YES, NO PROBLEM" and you hope for the best. But being this is an easy job (based on your verbiage) chances are all you need to do is request someone with basic HTML and design experience including integration of RSS into a static web page. Even a newspaper ad or something on your local CraigsList.com might net you someone for this job.

-jim

10. Photomax macrumors regular

Be aware that posting an ad on craigslist is going to cast a big net. You might get tons of responses. How many of them will be local though? How many of them will work with your needs and build something custom for you. Most of these designers work with their own templates and the last thing they want is to communicate with you over time while your custom website evolves.

But if you word your ad carefully and screen out the chaff then you might find a designer who will listen, communicate well and create the results you are hoping for...