How much should I sell my 2012 air? - needs new logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mb237, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Mb237 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I chose to replace my 2012 13' Air, rather than put in a new logic board. I am now trying to sell it on craigslist/ebay and was just curious what I should be realistically be expecting? Specs below and according to a "genius" a new logic board would have this up and running "perfectly" Thanks!

1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage
    TBolt to G-Enet Adapter 065-C080 None
    VGA Adapter 065-C0T9 None

2. cyber16 macrumors 6502

It may help to know what was the original problem with the logicboard? If liquid damage, a potential buyer would have concerns that the ssd + battery + trackpad + magsafe I/O board could have also suffered damage. All of them parts would need to be checked for functionality to get top $ otherwise you may only be looking at $200-$250 or so being sold for parts depending on the case & screen condition.
    my 0.02c

3. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I'll give you $10 if you include the shipping!

4. Mb237 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the offer of $10, but I think ill hold off for now, thanks!

It was liquid damage to logic board. According to the "genius" the logic board was the only thing effected and in replacing that, it would be back up and running as it was prior to the spill.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

I assume a new logic board is going to be around $500. That's a price I've seen other people post here. So, the price you sell the computer has to be less than $750 - $500, since otherwise somebody could just buy a refurb from Apple and it will be newer, better, and have a warranty.

So, $250 or less. Probably much less because you're making the buyer do work to fix an old machine. Might as well list it on Craigslist for $150 but I don't know if you're going to get any bites.

6. cyber16 macrumors 6502

The thing is the geniuses only remove the back and take a look inside.
    They do not remove the battery and look at the pcb attached to the underside of the trackpad, they also do not remove the magsafe I/O board and look at the underside during the inspection. Those are two known parts that will normally fail if exposed to liquid. I have worked on several myself.
    With that said, If you were local, I'd consider looking at it and making an offer that would be well over that $10 ;)
    There are also online service centers that do surface mount component/trace repairs for liquid damaged macbook airs. Some charge a base inspection fee then a flat rate if they can repair them. I have also been known to repair a few as I do have a hot air rework station. I'm not a business, its just a hobby.

7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Average selling price of a used 2012 MacBook Air minus the quoted cost from the Genius Bar. Given that Apple will, for laptops only, offer you the option of sending it to the depot where they'll pretty much refurbish it, for a flat fee ($280, last I checked), that machine is probably still viable. If you were talking about an iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro, I'd tell you to tell it for less on account that this option does not exist.

8. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Liquid damage to just the logic board is rare. If you spill coffee or a sugary soda over your keyboard, the keyboard is pretty much toast also.
    Other components could be damaged as well, don't just take the Genuis' word for it.

Maybe you could describe in detail how the water damage came to be and what type of liquid damaged it.

If you're confident it's only the LB, you could always buy a used one of ebay and then repair the Macbook yourself, then sell it used and not damaged. Otherwise, try selling off the parts individually, you might get more than $10 offers. I hear working screens going for $150-$200.

9. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Agreed.

I bought my old MB Air in September 2013... and it was splashed with coke in November 2013 while I was on a cross country trip. The computer worked and there were no visible issues other than a few of the keys were sticky and the backlighting was no longer even across the keyboard.

When I got home a week later I took it in for an inspection at an Apple service center. They told me the keyboard needed to be replaced but the logic board was OK... it had dried coke on some of the chips and they cleaned it.

Cost me $400... and I used the laptop for the next 14 months without any issues until I sold it last week on Craigslist...

... for $500. I saw a bunch of ads listing used 2013 MB Airs for $600-$700 which IMHO seemed a bit high. I listed for $500, got the first call in 15 minutes and it was sold in less than an hour.