Price Advice How much should I sell my iMac G5 for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skiz, Oct 22, 2013.

1. skiz macrumors newbie

skiz

How much should I sell my iMac G5 for? Or what can I expect to get for it?

Gonna list it on Craigslist. Here are the specs:

iMac G5 17"
    2.0 GHz Processor
    1GB RAM
    New 250GB hard drive, installed in August (Seagate Barracuda)
    Built in Wifi, Bluetooth, speakers
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    Keyboard and mouse included

$50? $100? $200?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'd be shocked if anyone gave you $50 for it. It's old and could die any minute.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Assuming that it has none of the hardware issues that iMac G5s are well-known for, I'd say that anywhere between $50-150 would be reasonable to the right buyer. Prices on any PowerPC Macs have been absolutely collapsing for the last year or two; I got my 1.8GHz 20" iMac G5 in immaculate condition with the original box and all accessories for free last year. To the right buyer though, again, anywhere between $50-150 depending on the condition of the machine.

And not every iMac G5 is on the verge of death. There are some out there that never had the capacitor issues they are known for; the 20" G5 on my desk right now is a perfect example.

4. skiz thread starter macrumors newbie

skiz

Great. Thanks. Mine has never had a single problem other than the hard drive dying a couple months ago, which I replaced. Honestly, the only reason I'm finally getting rid of it is that iOS7 requires a newer version of iTunes that my iMac won't support, so I can no longer sync my music. :( Oh well, time to upgrade anyhow I guess. Thanks again.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It depends on where you live. US prices are generally lower then Canadian and European prices.

6. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

I dropped my Vanity mirror PowerMac in the dumpster. Why would you want someone calling with issues with your old Mac? Toss it.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Don't assume everyone has the same needs as you do.

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I've sold a couple G5's in our surplus store on campus for around $50. That's where I would start.

9. skiz thread starter macrumors newbie

skiz

Currently it works fine and I don't anticipate any issues, but I'm not selling it with a warranty either. I think it's pretty well known that all sales are final on Craigslist.

----------

I spent $50 on the new drive. :(

I think I'll just put it in the spare bedroom for guests or something. :|

10. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

That's around the ballpark I was thinking. I sold a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac to my brother for like $150 which was just a hair under what they were going for on eBay, and that was with a recently installed SSD.

11. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Nice. Yeah most of that price is probably in the SSD haha.

12. skiz, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

skiz thread starter macrumors newbie

skiz

Listed it on Craigslist for $250 just to see if I'd get any bites. I let somebody haggle me down to $180. Sold. :)

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Nice! That's always a good way to go on craigslist - list it higher than you really want, then let them talk you down to the price you actually want. You get what you wanted for the item, they got to talk you down, everybody wins!

14. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I just payed $50 for an iMac G4 on Craigslist, PPC Mac's dont sell but have high prices in my area. If you want to sell list it for $100 and you will probably sell around $50-$75 but it will probably take a while depending on your area.