How much should I sell my Macbook for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Antidoll, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

I bought it in 2007...

Its white

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    667MHz
    Memory 1GB
    Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolution

released in mid 2007

the speakers don't work because I dropped it once, however the headphones work...

it has few scratches and chips here and there...

However, it works fine for me... (up until yesterday the screen kinda flickers and goes dark until I adjust the brightness of it)...

what can I get for it?

2. jbrettz macrumors member

I sold my daughters white macbook 2007 last month for $450 on craigs list. It had 2g ram. Had numerous scratches on the lid but the keyboard and trackpad; were very good condition. The port for cat 5 cable was broken. I got over 15 calls on it and sold it 5 hours later.

Hope this helps, you can always go down in price.

Brett

3. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I'd say that you should expect to get $300, tops, and be ecstatic with that; especially this being the 5th year of that technology.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I agree that the OP should be ecstatic with an offer of $300. With the problems he's listed above - and kudos for actually being forthcoming with that info - I wouldn't give more than $100 as he's described it.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. WANGOOROO macrumors newbie

Look at: www.gazelle.com and you can get a quote of the current value.

8. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

mac2sell does seem to undervalue, but in this case I think it's a littel optimistic, what with all the problems.

9. r0k, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I just bought a reconditioned 2007 Black Macbook (2GB of RAM, 2.16 Ghz, 160 GB HDD) for $629 for my daughter at Microcenter. This is $100 cheaper than the local mom and pop shop wanted for the same machine in "used" condition which is a lot worse than reconditioned. There was a big chunk out of the black plastic wrist rest on the $749 one. The one I got came directly from Apple as MC is an authorized Apple reseller. I get 90 days warranty.

To this I added a $99 Seagate Momentus XT SSD and a 2GB RAM upgrade for $25 'cuz the salesperson thought the machine had only 1 GB. Now I plan to take back the RAM and the drive. She can live with her 5400 RPM drive for now. I know she's used to SSD in her Mac mini but now that I see how bad her HP laptop was I know that SSD is not an issue.

OTOH, I would have been happy with a White Macbook at MC for $499 but they were out of them. I think the private party price of $300 for the white macbook is about fair but you can add to it by doing your own RAM upgrade. Upgrading the RAM is DIRT SIMPLE and cheap.:apple:

Pop out the battery. Find a #0 phillips. They come with jewelers' screwdriver sets available at the dollar store. Loosen 3 or 4 screws along the back of the "L" shaped metal plate on the inside of the battery compartment and you see two levers. Pull them to unseat the 200 pin SODIMM PC2-5300 RAM modules. For about $30 you can get 2GB of RAM and having 2GB of RAM makes your Macbook Lion capable. Heck there's no reason you can't go ahead and install Lion on it before you sell it if you already own Lion on another machine. Really. Read the license agreement. :cool:

BTW, I checked Mac2Sell and it said my daughter's new machine would sell for $470 and mine would sell for $500 so I'm happy I didn't buy from that local shop that wanted $749 for the same thing. I've got an Apple warranty.