Price Advice How Much Should I Sell My MBP For?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhyno37, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

So after some hard thinking, I've decided to part ways with my MBP. I thought I would use/need a laptop more in college, but really I just browse the internet with it, since I have a desktop for homework. I am looking to get a tablet, maybe the Ipad 2.

I have a 2011 13" Base Model MBP, will be selling it with Lion backed up on a USB drive, and a Incase. It is new as can be, I can count how many times I've used it on my hands. Absolutely NO scratches or wear and tear, it's picture perfect. Still have the box and packaging. I'm pretty lost when it comes to selling items, but I don't know what to expect in this case. I heard Mac's keep their value pretty good?

2. IllIllIll macrumors 65816

Come on, that's just ridiculous.

$5 is more realistic.

3. GeniusJon macrumors regular

$1,000 take or give a few dollars.

Have you decided how you are going to sell it yet? (eBay, Craigslist, etc...)

4. praetorx macrumors regular

Don't sell it, you'll regret it. Tablets are very underpowered and crippled compared to laptops, even netbooks. It's not the same experience.

5. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

My friends recomended Ebay, they said it would sell quicker and be safer. If I do, how should I set up the sale? Have Bidding? Or just Buy It Now? Or Both? What should the starting price be, the minimum, and the buy it now price?

6. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

take western union from nigeria. it's the safest form of payment.

7. praetorx macrumors regular

Keep in mind that ebay takes their share from your sale then paypal takes their "fair" share from the money transfer. On a $1000 sale expect to give up about $100 in selling fees.

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Correct. In fact, I'm actually Nigerian Price Ongwa Nokwatube. My uncle, the King of Nigeria recently died. All that I need to unlock his riches from the bank of Nigeria is a 2011 base 13" MBP. Ship it to me and once I have got the spoils from the bank I will wire you 10%.

9. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Praetorx, please own an iPad or any modern tablet before making stupid statements. :rolleyes:

OP, As long as you meet in very public places, Craigslist is the most profitable way to go. If you do decide to go with eBay, I suggest auctioning. Price is up to you.

10. IllIllIll macrumors 65816

Maybe you should go to ebay.com and read their FAQ on how to list your item for sale?

11. praetorx macrumors regular

How do you know I don't own a tablet? In fact I speak from experience.
    I own a Motorola Xoom which qualifies as modern and I'm deeply disappointed about its performance.

Now, how's that stupid my friend?

12. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Sorry there, I just meant to say iPad.

13. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I have had good luck on ebay in the past, but my brother in law has had repeated issues when trying to sell his original iPad. Three times in a row he had bidders who won the auction and never responded back after winning the auction. I used to use ebay regularly, but I'm not sure if I've been lucky or if he has been unlucky.

If I had to do it again, I would sell it locally. Apple is in high demand and if you sell it for a fair price, you should be able to sell it quickly, with minimal effort and risk.

14. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

There's your problem.

15. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't shoot me, but I'm also looking at the Asus Transformer Prime. The reason I'm going to a tablet is, I legitimately only use my MBP for the internet. Not even typing papers on, since I have a desktop. A $1200 laptop seems like overkill for that. Originally I thought it would replace my desktop, but ended up barely using it.

16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Fixed that for ya. As a previous owner of Several of Motorola's Android offerings, I can tell you they are quite sub par (even compared to other Android devices).

17. praetorx macrumors regular

How did I dare claiming such a thing??? You're absolutely right, Android OS and hardware sucks and Apple is the best in the world and only a fool would believe otherwise!!!

</sarcasm>

18. airborne333 macrumors newbie

$250-$300 Less than what you paid new. Applecare can still be purchased which is a bonus and assurance for the person buying.

19. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

So it sounds like my best bet is to sell it on craigslist?

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Craigslist is good. If you view the Apple store refurb pricing on a similar model/configuration, that should give you a good idea of what to expect. Many of those are just simply returns.