Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there going to be a drastic increase in speed with the new chip and all, or do you guys think the difference might not be noticeable a whole lot?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there going to be a drastic increase in speed with the new chip and all, or do you guys think the difference might not be noticeable a whole lot?

Obviously the new iPad will be faster, but, let's wait until people actually receive their devices before asking this question. I am sure we will see benchmarks left and right soon after they are delivered.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Obviously the new iPad will be faster, but, let's wait until people actually receive their devices before asking this question. I am sure we will see benchmarks left and right soon after they are delivered.

Is this based on the A5x chip alone or on the assumption the RAM will be increased?

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I believe it is the same dual core CPU in the A5X as the A5. However within that the memory has doubled to 1GB from 512mb, and the GPU (graphics) cores have also doubled from 2 to 4.

At the moment we don't know if they have shrunk the die using a smaller manufacturing process (giving the benefit of requiring less power and producing less heat), meaning they can increase the CPU's clock speed.

So we know the A5X is a more "powerful" System on a Chip, by the extra memory and graphics cores. We don't know if it "faster" as per clock speed.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Nobody knows if there's raw CPU calculation speed increased yet.. Seems like the hands-on reviews said it's every bit as fast as the iPad2 with no slowdowns noticeable. I'm hoping for a bump in clock speeds for the CPU here, I think they need to do this to stay in the lead compared to whats coming very soon for Android devices.. they might smoke the A5X in cpu benchmarks otherwise..

Wait for Anandtech's deep and dirty benchmark review on the iPad3 first..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.