How much slower will Sprint be for the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silock, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Silock macrumors member

I don't currently have a smartphone, so I don't know how fast webpages load on an iPhone 4 on AT&T, nor how fast they load on a 4G Sprint Android device.

I've read the specs. I know how much faster AT&Ts network will be for the 4S IN THEORY, but in practice, what will the real difference be?

It seems as though streaming Netflix and Pandora will be my most-used data usage. If those things will load without a huge buffering time, would there really be an advantage to going with AT&T over Sprint?

What kind of real speed differences are we talking about? I don't plan on using the phone for tethering or anything like that.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can this really be answered? You're asking for test results on two networks using a phone we can't get our hands on, yet.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Will Be

Faster...How much? refer to the previous post.

4. shadrap macrumors 6502

Depends on your area.

Sprint has a larger 3G area than AT&T. If you are in an area with better Sprint coverage then the Sprint iPhone will be faster than AT&T's on 2G.

If Networks are equal in you area. Then the AT&T version will be significantly faster.

5. Silock thread starter macrumors member

I'm not exactly asking for test results so much as a ballpark guess. People have been saying that on Sprint, it will be as fast as the current iPhone 4. Is that really true? The data speed doesn't seem to be anywhere close between Sprint and what AT&T offer, even discounting the new HSPDA speed. But I could be wrong.

If it is close on Sprint to what the current is, how fast is it currently on AT&T in the real world? Fast enough to stream Netflix with minimal buffering? Not trying to download torrents on the go, you know?

6. tacload macrumors member

I know that my EVO runs pretty fast on Sprint 4G. However, it CRAWLS on 3G. There are some areas where I see faster 3G speeds, but there are some really slow areas, even with full bars.

I can't speak to ATT because the only time I played around with them was at the store.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Sprint's 3G is much slower than AT&T's 3G. But available in more places.

Also, Sprint uses Verizon towers in places where they don't have any.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Where are people getting info that Sprint 3G but available in more places?

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Sprint 3G is basically everywhere that Verizon 3G is. Their entire network is 3G. Part of AT&T's network is still 2G.

10. tacload macrumors member

I know that Sprint says "unlimited data" but if you're roaming too much on Verizon's towers, they WILL cancel your service permanently.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Part of VZW network is also 1X

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

A tiny part.

13. arc918 macrumors member

arc918

I have an EVO as well. I agree that 4G is fast and 3G is generally crazy slow. Too slow to do anything meaningful on the web.