Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Quick question...most likely will be purchasing a MBA in a short while but first want to see how much of the hard drive space I am using on my current MBP. How can I check that so I can make sure I will not be maxing out the space available on a MBA. Sorry, I know this is a simplistic question..

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
install iStat ... very useful
Thanks! I installed iStat but am not sure what numbers to consult to find out how much of space I currently have used on my MBP. Sorry, I am not familiar with this level of tech stuff but I want to make sure that I am not going to overload a MBA with my current set up of programs, files, and applications.

Thanks again!!!

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
xS4j1.png

This section in iStat will show you how much free space (F) and used space (U) you have.

Also, when you are in Finder, you can go to View>View Status Bar to see the available disk space for each volume in the bottom of the Finder window.

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011

This section in iStat will show you how much free space (F) and used space (U) you have.

Also, when you are in Finder, you can go to View>View Status Bar to see the available disk space for each volume in the bottom of the Finder window.

Thanks! Just checked and it said I have 55.90 Gb used and 443.9 GB free. That indicates that if I keep my current stats and load on my hard drive I should be fine with a 13" MBA 4 GB, right?

Thanks again all!!!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Thanks! Just checked and it said I have 55.90 Gb used and 443.9 GB free. That indicates that if I keep my current stats and load on my hard drive I should be fine with a 13" MBA 4 GB, right?

Thanks again all!!!

Well, I am not sure why you specifically mention the 4 GB part since there is a difference between your hard drive storage and RAM. The 13" MBA comes with a 128 GB or a 256 GB hard drive, which happens to be a solid state drive. At the end of the day based on your current usage of hard drive space, the MBA will be ok for you, but if you're planning on having videos and music, then I would consider the pricier 256 GB MBA.

If you're concerned about the amount of RAM (memory) in the MBA, then that's a different discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.