how much space available on 128GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildduke, Mar 1, 2011.

1. wildduke macrumors newbie

How much free space is there left on a 128gb ssd once OSX and other included apple software is loaded?

2. simsaladimbamba

Around 110 to 115 GB. But you can use Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and you can delete printer drivers in Library / Printers.

3. -Ken- macrumors regular

My '11 Pro doesn't have an SSD, however 18 gb was used.

4. wildduke thread starter macrumors newbie

oh wow thats incredible! less than 20gbs for OSX and still the ability to reduce its size! man that ssd for 100 bucks is looking more and more attractive!

5. snouter macrumors 6502a

I have a 128GB SSD and it's totally fine.

I store my music/movies on a network share, and I have a 500GB 2.5" external and a 3.5" FW800 1TB external with stuff on it.

I'm working on 2 videos right now and still have 65GB left and I'll reclaim the space when I archive the projects to network/external.

Even a small SSD is so worth it.

6. simsaladimbamba

Current Mac OS X takes less than 9GB away (with all printer drivers and languages), but iLife also contains various templates for its applications which is another several GB, but they can safely be deleted if you don't use them. There are various guides out there on how to do this.

7. dblissmn macrumors regular

How will it perform over time

Without TRIM or Sandforce and with only Apple's special firmware to help it out, how will the performance of these Apple drives hold up over time until OS X Lion shows up with TRIM? My general instinct is to have a low expectation and just try and make my mind up between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm drive now and install a SATAIII SSD with Sandforce later. But at this price it's tempting to do the SSD now.

8. HacKage macrumors regular

The upgrade price is tempting, but if you go for the standard drive now, and buy the Vortex £ or whatever when it comes out, it means you still have the 500/750 drive that you can either put into an external or Optibay type arrangement.

At least that way you will have the best SSD when it comes out, and you will also make get to use the 500/750 which you wouldn't have if you went for the BTO upgrade.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

I just looked at my SSD and I'm only using 49GB. I don't keep a lot of media or files on this drive, but I do have OSX.. Office 2011 with Outlook, and all my apps.