How much space do I really need?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewtm, Sep 27, 2014.

1. andrewtm, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

andrewtm macrumors regular

Right now I have a 16GB iPhone 5 with 4GB left. I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me determine the right capacity for an iPhone 6.

-I take lots of pictures/video (I periodically transfer pictures to the computer)
    -I don't have one song on my phone - I stream entirely through Spotify
    -I have about 40 apps right now (no intense games)
    -I never download movies/tv shows/etc (I have Netflix)
    -I'm in many group messages and my message app takes up 2GB of space

I feel like 16GB would be enough, but I feel like since this is for two years, 64GB would be the safer choice. I'm just really not sure

Also, this may seem like a dumb question but why do people get the 64GB? Is it because they store a lot of movies/shows/music etc?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I say go for the 16gb and save the $100.

I already know I will be in the minority here on the forum, but it's really easy to transfer stuff to your computer if you are low on space.

I personally hate having my phone all cluttered up with photos and apps I'm not using, I'd rather keep it clean and tidy.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I would say the 64 GB is a safer choice to go with. But looking at your usage. I think you may survive another 2 years with the 16 GB.

4. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking too. But I have an iPhone 6 16GB and theres 8GB left, after barely any pics/video. Do pictures on the 6 take up more space at all?

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

16GB model gives you the best return when you sell it; you'll take a bigger loss in resale value with the higher models.

If you want to keep a lot of pictures and videos on your phone then I would go with the 64GB model. 128GB is really overkill for most people.

6. wongster macrumors regular

I have always got the 16gb option since the 3gs and have never ran out of space. My last 5 since I had songs on it, I was around 2gb of free space on the phone and now with my 6, I have no songs on it because I stream from Spotify, I have about 5gb of free space. Didn't see a reason to go up to 64gb even though its only $100 more.

7. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

I would say 16GB, but everyone is saying it's just not worth it anymore and 16GB is nothing.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you got the extra money the 64gb unit is way safer. You will not need to worry about it then.

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I shot a lot of slow-mos with my 5s and game some stuff so I quickly ran out of storage on 16GB. That's why I'm going with 64.
    Of course it will be even worse for everyone when iOS 9 requires 12GB of free storage to install :p
    I would go for 64GB but if it's really pricy for you stick with 16.

420th post

10. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

I'm honored you used you 420th post on this thread :p
    But yeah, price isn't a huge problem for me it's just with all the streaming and such I feel like I won't use anywhere near 64gb, but maybe a little over 16...

11. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

To be honest I would rather have more suave than I need than just enough, because if you ever decide to do something that requires space, maybe time lapses, that space will be waiting fur you.

12. Pagandeva2000 macrumors member

Pagandeva2000

Too bad 32gb is not an option for iPhone 6. I'm not disciplined so I went for the gusto and got 128. But I know how I can be and this large phone works well for me. I'm still adding apps and I had it for a week

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

If you plan on keeping your iPhone for at least 2 years I would go with 64GB.

14. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

What do you use all that space for, if you don't mind me asking? Is it music? movies?

15. imnjs macrumors member

imnjs

I had a 16gb iPhone 5 and would encounter space issues when streaming HD movies I purchased on the iTunes Store. Having only 8gb of space is pretty limited IMO. Then again, it's all subjective on how you use it. I think the higher models are almost necessary if you are a media junky.

16. shady25 macrumors member

It's enough for me. I didn't have to remove any programs from my 5 to upgrade to iOS 8 not too long ago.

I use Spotify as well

iPhone 6

[​IMG]

17. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Looks like you've used 75% of your existing space, and want to keep this new phone for another two years. To me, it sounds like 64GB would be the better option, since there's a good chance you'll fill up that 4GB and then some.

Of course, you could go with 16GB again, but when your phone does fill up, you'll have to make decisions about what stays and what goes.

Also, bear in mind that the iOS 8 update over the air required about 4GB of free space to complete. So there's that to consider, and you'll need to decide if you want the convenience of OTA updates, and whether you can keep that much space free on your phone to do it.

----------

I have a 128GB, and I use it for movies, photos, music, eBooks and apps. I message a lot with friends and we exchange photos and videos, which i know takes up space as well. Right now I have 57GB of space free on my phone... so 64GB was jussssst not big enough.

19. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Scared poet makes a good point, updates may become a problem and you may change and need the extra space. Life happens.

20. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the response! I'm just still debating on it since I use Spotify, so there's no space taken up by music. I also don't download movies or anything, since I use Netflix. The only things stored on my phone are photos(mostly screenshots which I should delete more often)/video/apps/messages.