Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I'm looking at the 256GB SSD option, and on windows, with Win7 install, I used 150GB (games, applications, work files, and win7)

So that would leave ~230GB after the drive is formatted, and then only 80Gb left. So I'm just wondering what the default size in GB OSX is right now. I read on gizmodo it gives you back 6GB of space, but I don't know the total.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
If it helps:

When I got my new i5 a few days ago I immediately made an image of the harddrive (Changed to a 500gb 7200rpm in the first 30 minutes of ownership :p), and the stock image from the factory was about 15 gigs

Baral

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
If it helps:

When I got my new i5 a few days ago I immediately made an image of the harddrive (Changed to a 500gb 7200rpm in the first 30 minutes of ownership :p), and the stock image from the factory was about 15 gigs

That's with iLife and whatever else installed.

The OSX only install without additional languages or tools or drivers is between 6 and 7 GB.

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
If it helps:

That doesn't sound right... Did you have other stuff preinstalled? Like iWork or Aperture?

Snow Leopard with iLife pretty much takes about 6GB.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Snow leo should be around 8 gigs, if you trim everything.
I've got an emergency install on an 8 gig flash drive with some space left over, and I havn't finished triming yet (alex voices, useless apps etc).

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Snow Leopard seems to want just around 4-5 GB with nothing else installed. It also needs approximately double that to install (just to extract everything). Of course, that means no Rosetta (for PPC apps and the "universal" Office 2008), no QuickTime Player 7 (only QuickTime Player X, so QTVR and some other format not supported), no printers drivers, You can only use English as the system language, and less fonts for several languages, and no X11. I think that's it.

iLife takes maybe 1-2 GB, and to install Garage Band and iDVD additions, thats a lot more space needed.

AnonMac50

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Snow Leopard seems to want just around 4-5 GB with nothing else installed. It also needs approximately double that to install (just to extract everything). Of course, that means no Rosetta (for PPC apps and the "universal" Office 2008), no QuickTime Player 7 (only QuickTime Player X, so QTVR and some other format not supported), no printers drivers, You can only use English as the system language, and less fonts for several languages, and no X11. I think that's it.

iLife takes maybe 1-2 GB, and to install Garage Band and iDVD additions, thats a lot more space needed.

AnonMac50

Rosetta takes 1MB and Quicktime7 about 30, so it doesn't change much ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.