how much space does OSX take?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I'm looking at the 256GB SSD option, and on windows, with Win7 install, I used 150GB (games, applications, work files, and win7)

So that would leave ~230GB after the drive is formatted, and then only 80Gb left. So I'm just wondering what the default size in GB OSX is right now. I read on gizmodo it gives you back 6GB of space, but I don't know the total.

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

It is pretty damn small, I think it is 6GB but could be 8GB (MAX).

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

It depends on what you install. The minimum install (English only, no printer drivers, no Rosetta, no QuickTime 7, no developper tools) takes 6GB.

4. jeffzoom91 macrumors regular

jeffzoom91

If it helps:

When I got my new i5 a few days ago I immediately made an image of the harddrive (Changed to a 500gb 7200rpm in the first 30 minutes of ownership :p), and the stock image from the factory was about 15 gigs

5. Baral macrumors member

That's with iLife and whatever else installed.

The OSX only install without additional languages or tools or drivers is between 6 and 7 GB.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

That doesn't sound right... Did you have other stuff preinstalled? Like iWork or Aperture?

Snow Leopard with iLife pretty much takes about 6GB.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Snow leo should be around 8 gigs, if you trim everything.
    I've got an emergency install on an 8 gig flash drive with some space left over, and I havn't finished triming yet (alex voices, useless apps etc).

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

umm i checked mine it was about 18 GB when i opened my new MBP last week and thats a factory install with ilife and pretty well everything.

9. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

"Pretty Well everything" ia not OS.

~5GB. Is what is documented on Apple.com: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

So... I think that puts this to bed. 5gb.

10. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard seems to want just around 4-5 GB with nothing else installed. It also needs approximately double that to install (just to extract everything). Of course, that means no Rosetta (for PPC apps and the "universal" Office 2008), no QuickTime Player 7 (only QuickTime Player X, so QTVR and some other format not supported), no printers drivers, You can only use English as the system language, and less fonts for several languages, and no X11. I think that's it.

iLife takes maybe 1-2 GB, and to install Garage Band and iDVD additions, thats a lot more space needed.

AnonMac50

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Rosetta takes 1MB and Quicktime7 about 30, so it doesn't change much ;)