How much space does XP Take up on hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by edward-k, Jul 12, 2008.

1. edward-k macrumors member

My old toshiba laptop finally died, I was using it to run 1 program, microsoft money. I really don't want to buy another PC and was thinking about adding windows to my iMac (24", 2.8ghz, 500gig). I am a little concerned that windows will consume a huge chunk of hard drive space? Also, how hard is it to remove windows if needed?
    THanks in advance for any help.
    Ed

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I think the min install is around 5GB so 10 would be fine, It's dead easy to install or remove windows as bootcamp assistant does both

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

a basic installation should only take about 3gigs. I've fit xp sp2 on a 4 gig hard drive before (don't ask why) w/ around ~700megs left

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Depends on how much you want to prune. I am looking at about 5-6GB for my install.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Back in the day, I ran XP on a 4 gig hard drive. My iPod had a 5 gig hard drive.:eek:

6. chscag macrumors 65816

If all you're running is Microsoft Money, why not just purchase Quicken for Mac and export all your money files from MS Money to QIF format and import to Quicken.

I personally like MS Money better than Quicken, but since there is no MS Money for the Mac, Quicken is the next best choice. Certainly a lot easier than installing XP on your iMac and having to put up with all the headaches that go along with Windows. :p

Regards.

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That is what I did. Quicken is not nearly as elegant (IMO), but it gets the job done and it runs natively.

8. edward-k thread starter macrumors member

Quicken...

I loaded an old version of quicken i had (2006) - it is horrible. Are the newer versions any better? I might just try and create something in excel....Thanks Ed