How much space for a Time Machine HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LoneWolf121188, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Just curious, how much space does a typical time machine backup take up? Also, can it back up my NTFS windows partition, or just my HFS+ partition?

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Depends on how much data you're backing up :) If you backup the whole boot drive you'll need as much space on the backup drive as you have data on the boot drive. The best advice is to buy the biggest drive you can afford so you can keep backups for longer periods of time.

Not sure about this one, but I suspect the answer is no.

3. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? It doesn't do any sort of compression? Thats slightly disappointing...

4. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem to use compression but someone else may know more about that than I do.

5. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

As I understand it, it is infinite. The only thing limiting it is how far back you want to take your back ups. You can also decide what apps you do and don't want to back up therefore giving you more space for data.

I have 80g main drove with a 250 BU for time machine. The whole 250 is dedicated to TM so I can currently pull stuff from way back in Nov.(when I installed Leopard)

6. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I have a 250GB HD in my laptop that I backup to a 500GB external. With the way I actually use my computer, I don't see myself really filling it up any time soon. I will probably end up with years of available changes in the end.