how much space is VM Fusion using?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenett, May 1, 2008.

1. seenett macrumors regular

I've had my macbook for 4 months, having switched from Windows. I still use one windows program (MS Money, due to lack of similar software for the mac) which I run via Fusion.

Rumor has it that Intuit will finally come out with a decent version of Quicken for Mac this year. If it works out, I would like to delete MS Money, XP and Fusion entirely.

How can I see how much HD space Fusion, XP, MS Money and the virtual "Z:" drive are using (i.e. will be freed up after deletion)? The nice folks at the Apple store set it up for me so I am pretty clueless about the installation and set up of Fusion. I can see Fusion.app in my applications folder, but have no idea how to see Z: in Leopard. If it matters, this mac is not set up for Boot Camp (as far as I can tell).

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

VMware Fusion stores each virtual drive in a file that ends with .vmwarevm, so you could just do a Spotlight search for that.

Once you've located it, choose File > Get Info, and the size will be displayed for you.

Edit: Or, a simpler way, is to just hover the mouse over your virtual machine's name in the virtual machine library after opening VMWare Fusion. Then it will tell you exactly where it's located. :D

3. seenett thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Looks like the XP virtual machine folder is 6.25gigs. Does that also include XP applications (my MS Money)?

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yep, everything that's installed in your XP drive is included in that file. :)

5. donmei macrumors regular

That 6.25gb is the size of the VM. The total space consumed also includes the VMware app itself. Althogh I think thats under 1GB