How much space on a HD?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Achiever, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Given the inexpensive cost of storage - internal and external - I think it is time for me to start ripping my DVD content onto HDs so I can better travel with it. I was preparing to rip some TV series (Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, The Wire, etc.) and some movies (The Big Lebowski, LOTR, etc.) when it occurred to me: I really have no idea how much HD space some/all of these things will take up until I have actually done it. By then, I may have wasted a lot of time putting them on the wrong sized HD for my needs (eg putting half of a TV series onto a HD only to need to complete it on a second drive).

So, I thought I would start a thread (I didn't see any like it in a search - if anyone finds one, please link to it) where people who have already ripped their content onto a HD can post the size of the file as a sort of "heads up" to others who want to rip their content as well. I am generally thinking about ripping for viewing with the DVD player on my Macs and will post accordingly, so if you have ripped a smaller file for use on a iPod or iPhone, please note that. Feel free to add what app you used to rip, as well. Thanks to the last MU bundle, I think RipIt will be my tool of choice.

Also, I'm not even sure this is the best forum to put this, but I can see it getting kicked out of others. If you have a better idea of where it should be moved to, please advise. Otherwise, I look forward to reading your file sizes and thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an idea of the size of any of the content I listed above.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The better board would have been the Apple TV area, but here goes:

A DVD will run about 700MB, and a 1 hour episode of a show will run about 300-350MB. At least thats what all of mine are right now (6 seasons of the Sopranos, 21 seasons of the Simpsons, a bunch of movies, etc). I have a bunch of content filling up a 750GB drive right now.

3. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Great call. Not having an Apple TV I hadn't been in those forums yet, but it makes a lot of sense.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It really depends on if you leave the DVD in full DVD format or compress it. Personally I leave my DVD's as full disc rips so that I have all audio, extras etc.. available. So each of mine runs 4GB to 8GB.

With compression as posted above it takes a lot less space. But I have gobs of space on my 640GB hard drives. When I do run out I will set up a server with a multi-Terabyte RAID array.

5. Galapp macrumors regular

there are a couple of factors that will affect how much space it takes.

a DVDrip full HD is 4-6Gb... but in average you can still get good quality for 700mb-1.2gb. I currently have all Smallville seasons, Prison Break Seasons, House M.D seasons, Friends Seasons, and another bunch of movies... total of
    700Gb worth of series and movies.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

An uncompressed .iso of a DVD will be in high 4GB's. That is without the languages (Except for English).

So, if you say you have every season of those shows, and one season runs about 5-6 disks.....You do the math.
    5GB*5 (Disks)*(Number of Seasons)= HD capacity.
    Of course, I left mine uncompressed and left them in .iso format. You can use whatever format, but compressing reduces quality, and space.

I have about 1.5TB of Hard Drive space dedicated to all of my movies. I used DVD Shrink (In Windows) to do it.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i suggest getting a 1TB or 1.5TB HD for all your movies, TV shows etc.

8. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well if your traveling then imo you dont need the best video quality, i get by with lower quality just fine. I rip my DVD's and aim for around 900-1200 MB each, with TV shows i go lower. I do all my ripping on my MacPro and store the movies onto an external hard drive, i then use SuperDuper to copy that desktop hard drive onto a portable 500GB hard drive that i carry with my laptop. I delete old seasons on TV shows or movies that i have watched so not to take to much space.