How much space to set for W7 Bootcamp Partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SmugMac, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SmugMac macrumors regular

I'm not really experienced in setting up Bootcamp on Mac, but I have a few Windows games that I want to play; so I'm taking the plunge and installing W7.

I am looking at installing:
    -Bioshock
    -Bioshock 2 (when me order arrives in mid-feb)
    -Unreal Tournament 3
    -Sims 3 - maybe....

So how much space does W7 really need, I have a genuine W7 Ultimate x64 to install (got 8GB DDR3 on my 27" iMac) so there seems to be no point installing x32... Probably...

Seems I need 20GB just for W7 x64... But how much space to leave for the games I want with a little space to grow? :confused:

2. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

If it's your iMac your talking about, I'd say a good 300GB. With 2TB, I think you could even go for 500. That way you can install the games you want and have enough spare room for Windows to run efficiently.

3. SmugMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ^_^

I think I'm going to give W7 x64 320GB of space, I think it will be ample. :D

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The more the merrier - a lot of gamers I know rip their disks to an image, apply the necessary nocd patch and mount them via daemon tools for better performance.

I know it's seems a waste of ram and a 'backward step' but unless you are sure the games have proper (and more importantly stable) support for 64 bit I would go 32 bit..

5. SmugMac thread starter macrumors regular

Oh. Never thought of that... Good point!