How much space will be left.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nrfujnbfvj, Jun 14, 2012.

1. nrfujnbfvj macrumors member

If i install windows 7/8 using parallels on the new 128gb Air?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

don't quote me, but i think lion is around 7gb and windows is around 32

3. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

:p

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I'm quoting you now!!

But yeah, Windows 7 Home edition is around 30 GB without bloatware (like Norton Anti-Virus, Sony Vaio pre-installed programs... etc)

5. mitty macrumors regular

I installed a brand new Win 7 machine in Parallels the other day. The size of the NVM file is 13.9GB. That's vanilla Win 7. No idea if it could be made smaller or not.

Personally I plan to devote 30GB of my 256GB SSD to a Win7 partition that I can use either natively or with Parallels.

6. rookpsu macrumors member

I have a few Win7 instances. Barebones, you're looking at like 17GB, although once you start installing some apps, it can certainly grow fast. It helps to compress it periodically.

I'm curious to see how well the run off a USB 3.0 drive (2012 MBA en route). Win7 is a bit too sluggish off USB 2.0, but XP is snappy.

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

So you get about 105-110 usable with Lion. Windows adds another 20. So you're down to about 85Gb to share between both platforms.

That would be pushing it a bit.

8. nrfujnbfvj thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, I could buy A 64GB SDXC, or get a pro and install an ssd. Decisions decisions

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I tried the SD card route. Picked up a 64GB Sandisk Ultra for under $50. It's not intended to run an OS off it. It can hold a library of files fine, but if you intend to run apps off it, it can get ugly. Transfer rates of 10-20mbps compared to the new Airs pushing 450-500, it can be very painful to watch.

10. meejkim macrumors newbie

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

30 GB is ok if you're only planning to use a couple of applications, like office. The windows 7 only size does depend on which version you're installing and what extra stuff like accessories you install. It is actually possible to get it under 10 GB if you start deleting superfluous stuff that Windows installs. There are guides on the web on what you can safely delete if space is a major consideration.

----------

I have to disagree on the draw in GPU. The HD 4000 will be noticeably faster in a full voltage CPU. The HD4000 in the ULV chips is somewhat gimped to fit into the low TDP. Anandtech has an article that explains this in details

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5878/...ation-realtime-igpu-clocks-on-ulv-vs-quadcore

12. Redbull916 macrumors member

Redbull916

I use VMWare as it's pretty much the standard for business, and use 4 VM machines on my Mac. The smallest is a clean Windows 7 home edition build which is 7.5gb. Win7 Pro with office and all the extras is 25gb. 2008 server with Oracle 11 28GB. Win 2003 server with oracle 10G 13gb.
    Hope that helps.