Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobalt79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Going to buy my first mac. Need to run Windows 7 as well.

If I want a SSD, can I get the 128GB SSD without issue or should I opt for the 256 GB SSD?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Go for the 256GB.

Windows 7 takes a considerable amount of space. It depends on your use, but in my case I gave 30GB to Bootcamp, and Windows 7 occupied almost 15g-16GB.

But you really need to tell us what your are going to use your Mac for. Photos? Video? Music? Or just light documents use?

cobalt79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Well, I use my computer for lots of stuff.

Games, Photos, Movies, Music, Docs, Spreadsheets, Internet...

But, I keep most of my media on external drives.

I plan to use the Mac for photo stuff initially, since I bought a Nikon D90 back in August, and then the Windows 7 partition for work and other non-Mac software I already have.

Then again, I can run that using Parallels...

I guess since this is my first Mac, I put that question back to the public... What am I going to use my Mac for?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I have a 160GB hard drive. I use my Mac for photos, videos, music and college. So far, I only have 30GB free of space.

And I keep movies and photos in external drives. Most space goes to music (16GB), applications (23GB), Aperture previews (19GB), BootCamp (35GB), and the rest either System files or college documents.

Final Cut Express takes a big amount space, specially if you install the Apple Loops in the internal drive. Adobe CS3 also takes a large amount.

So basically, you need to see what you'll use. I didn't find myself using more space with my Mac than with my previous PC. Maybe only in videos.

Is there any reason you want SSD drives?

cobalt79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Speed and durability. Mainly speed.

But my concern is that I'll buy hard drive space i don't ever use -- see iPhone 3G

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
You can never go wrong with a bigger HD. The problems with SSD is that they are expensive.

I still recommend the 256GB tho, 128GB is too small in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.