How much SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 25, 2013.

1. iFusionApple macrumors member

I'm going to buy a MacBook soon, and i'm wondering how much SSD i should take. Price is really not that important.

I will use it for:
    -films
    -photos
    -music (3000 songs about)
    -gaming (about 5 games like Assassin's Creed should have space)
    -documents (Pages, Keynote)

I can use an external drive (ssd or hdd), it would save some extra cost. ;)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is really something very individual depending on how much data you plan to store on the machine. Just to give you a baseline though, a new machine with the OS and iLife plus iWorks installed uses up about 20GB of SSD space. So add to that however much you think you will need.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

How many films and photos, and and how long and what quality of films?

I currently have 9000+ photos (16GB)
    I have about a dozen or 2 movies (480p) totaling somewhere in the 15GB range.
    But I also have TV series, like house, psych, walking dead, etc. (all in 480p) totaling a whopping 270GB.
    Games, id say average to maybe 7-10GB each (or more, deus ex: human revolution is around 16GB)

So i personally had no choice but to get the 512GB (wouldve gone higher if i could afford it).

An external hardrive is always a good option for extra storage, but I personally hate carrying extra hardware around. Id prefer all my data on my laptop itself.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

I just mentioned photos to leave some space (maybe 1000 photos)

Films around 50 i'd say, 720p or 1080p.

So i think maybe 256 gb is best. If i need more, i will be creative and organise myself with am external drive. I.e: if i'll travel, i will judt put the most important things on, and for at home i can just connenct with the ext drive.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You could've moved the series and movies onto an external HDD or NAS.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Which is why I state that it is an option :p
    Personal preference though is i hate carrying around extra equipment. If I could somehow set up my TC to allow remote access that would be great. But after 2 years of trying to mess with that, Ive given up on it.

8. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I think a NAs is the best for your case, so you have the archive part online; music, videos and photos and old files...

9. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I think i'll go for the 256 GB option and install a NAS at home, thanks! :)