How much structural rigidity will an Apple leather case add to 6 plus?

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
So will I be safe to stick my iPhone 6 plus in my front pocket if I put the Apple leather cover/case on it?? Seems to be fairly rigid - so with the iPhone acting as a "filler" to the case will we be doubling the rigidity of the phone??...or do we need a huge bulky case??

McDLT

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
So will I be safe to stick my iPhone 6 plus in my front pocket if I put the Apple leather cover/case on it?? Seems to be fairly rigid - so with the iPhone acting as a "filler" to the case will we be doubling the rigidity of the phone??...or do we need a huge bulky case??
carry it in the box it came in and you should be fine

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
it has been established that 100 pounds of pressure will bend an iphone 6 plus to the point where it present a visible bend.

do the math beyond that

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

It seems from blogs etc that adding a case will help with any potential bend issue.

My advice is to enjoy your iPhone and try to look past '#gate' issues.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002
I have my 6+ apple leather case, but not my 6+ (yet).

The case is fairly flexible so I can't imagine that it'll add much in the way of structural integrity. It won't hurt. But ultimately it's soft sided all the way around so...

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm still not sure how you can bend a phone by having it in your front pocket at all.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
Not much. I'd say if you're putting enough pressure on it to bend an aluminum phone, the case will just bend right along with it.

I carry my 6 plus in the Apple leather case in my front pocket and I never feel any sort of pressure on it. I guess it just depends how tight your pants are.

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Not much. I'd say if you're putting enough pressure on it to bend an aluminum phone, the case will just bend right along with it.

I carry my 6 plus in the Apple leather case in my front pocket and I never feel any sort of pressure on it. I guess it just depends how tight your pants are.
There was a video out there for the 6+ in a Spigen tough armor case that faired really well during the bend test... the guy really went at it and the bending was very small.

Ultimately I would think that the more rigid cases would fair better - especially with more built-up edges.

I wish someone would come out with a titanium-backed-type case. Just something really stiff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.