How much technology do we really need/want in our lives?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by petvas, Apr 28, 2015.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The Apple Watch has been the cause for many discussions about the limits of technology and its benefits.
    Most of us are using a desktop computer, a laptop, an iPhone and maybe also an iPad. We are almost always connected, I would say addicted in our gadgets and our digital lives. I include myself of course..

The Apple Watch is really a great gadget. It got me excited as soon as it was announced and if it were available back in last September, I would probably have gotten it on day one. Since though we all had many months to think about if we really need a SmartWatch in our lives, I started having second thoughts.
    One of the biggest benefits of the Apple Watch is the way it makes us use our iPhone less. Especially incoming notifications, answering to iMessages, getting up to date with our digital lives. The Apple Watch makes us even more connected. Of course we can always turn it off if we want to be disconnected for a while, but I am not sure many would go that path.
    Is it so important if we miss a notification, or if we just react to a notification a little bit later, when we can access our iPhone or/and other computers? Isn't it nice when having dinner with our friends and family to know that we have our iPhone with us, but just decide not to actively use it for two hours and concentrate on our beloved persons? Wouldn't having a Smart Watch make us never really concentrate on them? Never concentrate on actually living our lives? How much technology do we really need in our lives? What are the limits? What is next?
    I am not trolling here. I have an Apple Watch on order, but while waiting I am getting second thoughts about Smartwatches in general. I am sure the Apple Watch is the best SmartWatch out there, but I am beginning to question the existence of the whole category.
    Of course there are definitely people out there that commute a lot, that need access to their notifications all the time. I cannot believe that these people couldn't live without a SmartWatch.
    Sometimes technology is trying to do a lot, to help us live better lives, but it results in the exact opposite. Technology can cause us also a lot of stress.
    What are your thoughts?
    Please, only respond if you really have anything valuable to say. No trolling. I have not intend whatsoever to make the Apple Watch look bad. It's more of a philosophical discussion around the use of wearable technology.
    I love gadgets, but feel somehow that we are going over our limits. Too much technology can be bad sometimes.

2. aschaeferusn macrumors member

I'm not of the widely held belief that more technology in our lives is bad. I don't find myself shying away from physical contact or anything because I'm too addicted to my gadgets - in fact, it's the opposite. A lot of times I have conversations with my friends about what we saw on Instagram, what sort of crazy video we just saw on Vine, etc.

Different isn't necessarily bad. It's just...different. One could argue that this increased "addiction" to technology is actually a good thing - it has been in my life.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Depends what your interests are. This stuff intrigues me. Sports don't. To me the Apple Watch launch was my version of the super bowl. I actually look forward to standing in line for the iPhone 7. My friends are close knit and we usually all do the same thing.

That being said I'm not on my phone (or watch) when face to face with someone, it is rude. But downtime, you probably will find me playing around with a new app etc.

4. mrboba1 macrumors regular

I think the Watch will make it easier for us to ignore our notifications more easily.

Every time a person's phone buzzes, they wonder - is it important? Is it my kids? What's going on? With the watch, you can choose to get tapped for only certain things and even then, only you know and can take a quick glance to see if it's important without pulling your phone out and have as a barrier.

I actually see the watch as a less intrusive interrupter than the phone that can make a dinner out with friends or with loved ones, because it is designed to NOT hold your attention for long.

This is a step forward, IMO.

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I see it differently. When watching a movie for example, I leave my iPhone in my pocket. I don't react to incoming notifications. Having a SmartWatch providing me haptic feedback is intrusive in this case. Of course I guess someone could set the watch to mute, but then where is the benefit? Do you see what I mean? Its biggest benefit is its biggest problem at the same time.

6. lexic macrumors newbie

I'm not having a problem ignoring the watch notifications if I'm busy doing other things. I'm not finding it any more intrusive than having my phone notify me.

7. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I think you have a great point and I have thought about this also. I don't use my phone for work or business so if I miss notifications or don't see them for a while it won't cost me a big deal. I do love watches and I love Apple products so naturally this Apple Watch interested me. But making my earlier point, I don't know that I have a need for a smartwatch. Another fear of mine is that I will become dependent on it or like it so much that I want to wear it every day, which I don't want to since I have a collection of watches I love lol. I will just use my 2 weeks to decide if I will keep it. One thing's for sure, it's not for everyone, so it's your own personal decision based on need/want.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I want a bunch of technology. Just wish I didn't have to charge everything.

9. Sophrosyne macrumors member

I want this watch. I think the very basic task of not having to pull a phone out of my pocket for every damn email, text, or call is invaluable to having a simple lifestyle.

10. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

11. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

You can always choose to ignore your notifications and take care of them when it suits you. The Watch will just make you react on the notifications. So yes, if you would react to these notifications anyway, and if you have to do it immediately, then in that case the Watch would be helpful for you. But what if you don't really need to react immediately? What's more interesting is the way Apple is communicating the biggest benefits of the Watch:
    • An incredibly precise timepiece
    • Entirely new ways to stay in touch
    • A smarter way to look at fitness

Apple doesn't even advertise notifications as one of the main three reasons to get the Apple Watch.

12. mrboba1 macrumors regular

So if someone is calling you, and maybe they call twice (because some people just do that) you wouldn't pull your phone out to see who it is and if it was important? It's far easier and less intrusive to glance at your watch to ignore that annoying person than half stand and pull it out of your pocket. Or a series of texts in a group message.

Also, have you felt the haptic feedback personally? It can be quite slight and easy to ignore. I find it much easier to ignore than a buzzing on my hip.

13. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

If someone is calling me I will use my iPhone to answer the call. Or even better, if I must be reachable, I will use a bluetooth headset and answer the call no matter who is calling. Using the watch to see who is calling, only to decide to answer the call by getting my iPhone out doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless I am prepared or willing to talk by using my Apple Watch, something that I would only do if I am alone in a room, but never when on the road.

14. flur macrumors 68000

Couldn't you just set it to mute during the movie? The way people mute their phones when in the theatre?

15. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Of course.

16. mrboba1 macrumors regular

You are missing my point.

When you are in the movies and someone is calling you, a quick look at the watch tells you who it is. If you don't want to talk, you ignore it. If you are reliant on the phone alone, you have to dig it out of your pocket to see that you don't want to talk (you are checking to see if it is an emergency)

17. lexic macrumors newbie

The watch doesn't *make* me act on notifications. It's easy to ignore. It also has a benefit that others around me don't even know that I've received a notification, unlike my phone making a noise or audibly vibrating. I really don't understand why you insist that the watch is more difficult to ignore than a phone.

18. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Because you have it on your wrist all the time.

----------

If I am in a theatre watching a movie then I don't want to be interrupted by anything. I can always have a look at my iPhone after the movie ends.

19. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Again - have you personally experienced the haptic feedback? It is very slight. During the demo, I was talking to the Apple Rep, and I had to stop to concentrate on feeling a part he wanted me to notice.

----------

Even an emergency call?

20. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I don't know if any of view ever watch the "Black Mirror" series in the UK. It's available on Netflix. It's a satiric look at technology and the impact of the technology in that society. It's in the style of Outer Limits. I suggest that you guys watch it.

21. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

No, I haven't. I am waiting for my Apple Watch, but that isn't the point I am trying to make.

22. lexic macrumors newbie

And? Do you lack so much self control that you cannot ignore a slight tap on your wrist until you want to address any notifications?

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Use the VIP feature on your iPhone. Emergency calls would come through..

24. mrboba1 macrumors regular

But it does go to your point. I think you are equating the buzz you feel from your phone's notification system to the Watch's. They are nowhere near the same, can be adjusted downward (or upward) and can make it quite easy to ignore.

If I am deep in a conversation (like I was with the Apple Rep) I didn't even notice the watch tapping me. Honestly, this is true. And it does make it less intrusive than the phone, even though it sits on your wrist.

25. lexic macrumors newbie

Do Not Disturb on the watch works the same if you set it to allow favorites.