How much the iPhone has changed since 2009...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by campingsk8er, May 2, 2014.

1. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

So I stumbled upon this old article from another iPhone website. Well back in 2009, they were talking about everything they wanted for their next iPhone. It's amazing how a lot of the features they talk about, are features we have now, and we probably take them for granted. Anyway, enjoy the comments from the article!

http://www.iphonematters.com/article/name_one_feature_you_want_on_the_iphone/

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

"Better, Better, Better battery life—even a changable battery would be nice
    Posted by James Nguyen on October 15, 2009 5:55 PM
    "

We still asking for that one 5 years later lol.

3. UKapple macrumors regular

Didn't android already have these features at that time anyway?

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Are people ever going to stop wanting better battery life? Do you think there'll be a point where people say, "no more battery life, please. My phone is lasting too long on a single charge."

6. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Well people will always find something to complain about. But I believe we still have a few years to go before battery efficiency breakthroughs hit the mass market. So hopefully by the 7S battery problems won't be an issue.

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

We keep asking because it has never changed, it has always sucked and they've never done anything to change it

8. imanidiot, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

imanidiot Suspended

Can those complaining about the iPhone just please buy something else? This is totally out of hand. This place has become a nursery of infants crying about tech.

9. CosmoFox macrumors regular

Its like 5x better than when introduced in 2009. Crazy.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Original iPhone: Up to 8 hours of talk time (on EDGE), 24 hours of audio playback, 7 hours of video playback (not HD), and 6 hours of Web browsing (EDGE). Up to 250 hours standby.

iPhone 5s: Up to 10 hours talk time on 3G, up to 40 hours of audio playback, up to 10 hours of video playback (HD), up to 8 hours of Web browsing on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi.

The phone is now thinner with 4x the resolution, a taller display, a much more powerful CPU, insanely faster data connection, etc. etc. Myth = busted.

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I've owned every single iphone except the 2G and 3GS and I've never come close to these numbers haha

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've gotten as much as nearly 10 hours of use (mostly music, texting, some web surfing, email, and Facebook) spread over 2 days of standby time on my 5s, so I'm okay with the battery life. Even my heaviest usage (which is probably not very impressive compared to some) has never killed it in less than 24 hours.

13. TC03 macrumors 65816

That's not true. Your phone is far more power efficient than in 2009. However, are you willing to accept 2009-like performance on a $1000 phone in 2014? No, I guess not.

14. Number29 macrumors newbie

Probably... but then it was also Android and not iOS. Huge downer there.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Performance of the phone is always going to increase even though battery efficiency increases as well. It's a direct correlation. So you'll never get to some amazing leap in average battery life barring some major battery technological breakthrough.

16. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

The one made think was multitasking, where would we be without it?

17. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Low power consumption memory and cpu are welcomed but we need a breakthrough regarding batteries like smaller batteries but more powerful, this way you can have a battery that lasts 12 hours + with every feature enabled and a reduced weight, etc.

18. TC03 macrumors 65816

We don't need anything. If you want 12+ hour battery life, you can have it. Just double the thickness, there.

Every design specification is the result of a compromise. If suddenly batteries doubled in capacity because of a breakthrough, this would merely alter the compromise. Who says such a breakthrough won't result in doubled performance, keeping battery life the same as current?

Eventually, the market decides and the market favors slim designs and large screens. This inevatibly affects battery life.

People are ALWAYS going to want faster, better and slimmer phones. As a result, no matter how technology evolves, battery life will always be considered too low (because it could always be better).

----------

Exactly. The current average battery life isn't a random outcome, it's an accurately chosen trade-off. People need to understand that.