iPad mini How much time do I have to ship a return back to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matneh, Jan 6, 2014.

1. matneh macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I'm planning to return my Retina iPad Mini (got an Air instead), but was unable to get to the Apple Store due to the freezing cold in Chicago. The return window closes on January 7th (tomorrow) and now I'm out of town. I'll be back on Friday.

If I choose to initiate a return before the 7th through the online system, how much time do I have to put the Mini in the mailbox? I assume there is a fixed amount of time, otherwise people would get more than 2 weeks.

Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Given the weather issue, I would contact Apple directly. That way you can plead your case if need be, as well as getting any further information you need to complete the return.

3. matneh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info and link. I've read through that page several times and can't find anything that says "you must ship the item back to us within X days otherwise we won't accept the return."

Obviously you can't request a refund, print out the return label and drop it in the mailbox a few months later.

Conversely, if I print out the label on the 7th and drop it off that day, they will receive it after the 14 days have expired but I expect they would still accept it.

So there must be some value between 0 and 90 for the number of days that will be OK.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

As it happens, I bought an iPad Air in November and was surprised to see there was still a return link on the order, so I clicked it. It said I had till Jan. 7 to initiate a return and sent me an email saying I have to 20 Jan, 2014. I have no intention of returning it, I was just curious.

So click the link online and see what happens. If it doesn't give you enough time, call Apple and explain your situation. The fact that you've bought a more expensive product as a replacement should work in your favour even if it's iffy.

5. matneh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! January 20th is 2 weeks from today, so looks like you have 2 weeks to initiate a return and then they need to receive the package within 2 weeks of the request. I should be able to drop it off on Friday so I'll probably be within that time frame.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

But mine is initiating the return within the deadline. It looks like you haven't done that. Click the return, print your label and drop it off with the carrier.

7. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

When I returned a mini the shipping label was good for 14 days after which apple said to call them back and they'd issue a new on (same return)