How much time for Rev B?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 66217, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. 66217 Guest

    Jan 30, 2006
    I am in doubt of buying a MacBook Pro because of some things I have read, like the little humming noise that the screen makes.

    My question is how many time is it likely to pass before the Rev B MacBook Pro arrives? I'm new to Mac (the MacBook Pro would be my fist Mac) and I don't know how much time it passes between rev1 and rev2.

  2. zoziw macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2006
    Could be a month, could be a year.

    It is always hard to tell with Apple. I would suspect they will get all of their lines switched over to Intel before moving to "B" versions but you just never know.
  3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    At least I would expect everything except PowerMac (maybe even it) to be intel, before MacBook Pro revision.

    I think a summer update to the MacBook Pros is possible, if not summer, then surely in the fall. There will be an update in 2006.
  4. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a


    Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I would guess August-September for a 15" rev B. But again, Apple is one giant surprise machine sometimes... no wait... all the time:) But that is why I love 'em:D
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    6 months is the norm. 3 months isn't unheard of, but it's unlikely for that to happen.
  6. cwedl macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2003
    WWDC 2006 i.e. September. Thats when they updated the 12" and 17" Powerbooks to Rev B when they were first released in January of that year. To I expect or hope the same!
  7. mactim macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2005
    I suspect before or at WWDC

    There may be a 'revison B' on or before early June. Appleinsider has mentioned that major Core Duo price cuts are scheduled for May, that faster/better 9.5mm DVD drives are due then and that the 17" MacBook Pro is due around WWDC time (early June). IMHO this would be an ideal time to refresh the 15" MacBook Pro.
    However, we may not need to wait that long if we want an issue-free MBP. I'm hopeful that Apple will revise the manufacturing/design ASAP to eliminate the widespread issues (whining, uneven backlighting, screen buzzing and bad right speaker).

  8. yippy macrumors 68020


    Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I hope it is sooner than september. I am starting to have a need for a Mac that can run windows at native speed. I am forced to use a couple of software packages that does not run on Mac, engineering applications such as CAD programs and some specialized equation solvers. Currently the MacBook Pro does not have enough new stuff to justify the upgrade. If the next revision isn't a decent step up I will probably resort to VPC or hope using computer labs isn't to much of a pain.
  9. mactim macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2005
    Expect WWDC 2006 early June

    Last year WWDC kicked off early June. Although the dates of WWDC 2006 have not been realeased yet, most are expecting a similar time frame.

  10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002

    I was playing with the MBP at the Apple Store yesterday. The civilian shoppers probably thought I was nuts as I lifted the MBP up to my hears trying to hear these alleged noises that some are complaining about. Two of the machines were dead silent. I mean dead silent. My AlBook sounds like a freaking Ozzy Osbourne concert compared to them. The other one had a very tiny buzzing, but the only way to hear it was to almost lie my head to the keyboard!

    I don't doubt that some people are having noise issues. I had major whining with my AlBook when it was new...turned out the video inverter board was defective. But I don't think anyone can make the case the noise issues on the MBP is an epidemic. It seems to be isolated to small sampling of MBP owners.

    If you are waiting for Apple to fix this in say a Rev B. what will do you when Rev B develops its own idiosyncrasies? Will you then wait for Rev C? Rev D? There is a myth out there that Rev As are always buggy and each superseding model is less so. Maybe that is true in other products, but as we've seen with Mac, each revision has its own problems. So if you are waiting for a MBP with absolutely no issues you might be waiting a long time. Better start a pot of coffee.
  11. mvelinder macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2006
    I tried the same thing in the store and couldn't hear anything on any of the demo models, all of them were 1.83's though... maybe it's only a 2.0 problem. Then I asked the guy about it and he said he hadn't heard of any "hissing" problems with them and that he'd know because he was a huge self-described dork.

    Despite all this, I'll still be putting my order in next week.
  12. kahos macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2005
    I believe they might have upgraded the macbook before launch in prevision of the upcoming price cuts (maybe they got a deal with intel)

    1.83 (currently 294$) becomes the same price as the 1.67 is now (241$)
    2.0 (currently 423$) becomes the same price as the 1.83 is now (294$)

    So if they get faster chips at the same price, why not use them?

Share This Page