Price Advice How much $$$ to ask for my mint 3GS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KentuckyHouse, Oct 23, 2011.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the proper place for this question, but because my 3GS is jailbroken, has all the shsh's from 3.1.3 to 4.3.5, and still has a baseband that can be unlocked, I figured this might be the place. It's a 16gb, black model.

The phone will be 2 years old in January. It's been in an Otterbox Commuter since day 1 and has always had a screen protector on it. The thing is beautiful with some tiny little scratches on a couple of parts of the chrome bezel (I would assume those got there when either removing the case for cleaning or just from random dust settling between the case and phone). There are no scratches on the rear black plastic casing. It's mint.

I will also be including two Otterbox Commuter silicone pieces, about 4 or 5 different colored shells, a Speck Candyshell, and a couple of other random cases.

What would be a fair price to ask? I'm considering Craigslist and eBay to try and get top-dollar for it (if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears). I figured I'd set a starting bid price and add the buy-it-now or best offer option, just to add some flexibility.

Thanks for the help, guys, and I'll be back in this section more often when (or if) a jailbreak is released for the 4S! :D

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Ask for $300 on craigslist. The fact that it is unlocked is a big deal and should command a good price. You can always accept less, I don't feel you can ask for more. I've sold A L O T of iphones in my time and I always receive top dollar.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'd make sure to mention it has a lower preserved baseband and not ipad 6.15. not everybody will understand that but those that do. ;)

4. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks, guys. That $300 number kinda shocked me, but hey, you never know. It's definitely a well-taken care of phone (I'm anal about keeping my phones mint).

And that's a great reminder about stressing the baseband. I'll definitely remember to do that!

5. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sold mine for $275 mint with original package

6. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'd be over-the-moon with $275! Heck, $200 would make me ecstatic (since it would essentially reimburse me for the money I spent on the 4S). :D

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I will just say you can always lower the price. However it's really hard to raise the price.

So start high and you can always come down.

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Things to remember if confronted: yes you can get the 3G S for free with a 2 year contract. However it's a 300+ ETF and it would still be locked if they went that route. Your phone has a lot of value I feel.

People will almost always knock $50 to $100 off any price right away and start there with their offers.

9. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

I got $200 for mine on CL (detroit area). Was not JB or unlocked. Took the first offer I got, just wanted to get rid of it.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

$200 to $250 depending where you are,,you can listed at $275 and take it from there.