How much to charge for this?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by redrabbit, Dec 5, 2007.

1. redrabbit macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm an amateur student photographer who is studying photography. I have never sold photos, besides what photos of mine are used in the school paper. I shot some photos some time ago at a bike race that passed through our town and put them on flickr. Just recently, one of the sponsors of the racers contacted me and asked if they could use the photo in their marketing campaign. I really have no idea what to do from here and how this stuff works. How much should I charge? What's the next step? Any advice or things to watch out for? Thank you.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

You want to get it in there so it might make sense to be reasonable with them. I'd recommend an amount under $100. But it's hard to say.

It's a lot better to get it in there and have it to show off than to make $20 extra bucks (in my view.) Not knowing the specifics, I'd ask for $75, your name in small print crediting you, and a free copy of the publication.

3. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

There's a calculator online to figure out editorial cost and how much to charge for your image depending on the size of the page and how many runs etc. I probably wouldnt charge what the calculator says you can try but definitely dont sell the shot for like $10. The other thing you might try if you're trying to get more serious about about photography is to say ok I'll give you the shot use it for the promotions BUT the photo has to have my info as credit like a name and phone or email address.. maybe something along the lines of Photo by: so and so - ###.###.#### or email addy.

Anyways best of luck on the photo! I know how exciting it is to have someone approach you for use of a photo you took!

P.S. You could give them a discount on the piece along with your info on the photo as a deal, and get things in writing also emails and what not its easy for people to screw others these days with photography.

4. redrabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. I talked with the guy. The photo is for a small print, less than 500 copies, for an inside shot. They offered $90, saying thats what it would cost on a stock site. My friend suggests I ask for $120.

What about contracts and all that? Are there templates or anything online?

Thanks

hmmm...according to the calculator online...

Type of Use:: Advertising
    Specific Use:: Brochures / Catalogs
    Press Run:: 10,000 or less
    Size:: 1/4 Page or Spot use
    Low Price:: $275.00
    Average Price:: $425.00
    High Price:: $575.00
    Survey = 136

That seems a little high though...

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Offer then a limited license for that, with a 500-1000 copy limited license at $130 or so. They probably won't over-negotiate for one image.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Is it worth haggling? $90 is a good payout for a shot. If you ask for $120 and they look somewhere else, then you're out of luck.

Take the $90 and run!

7. Art-Smith macrumors newbie

How much

The company offered $90, I would take $90. There is no use getting greedy. Normally companies will offer a fair price for an image. They normally have internal scales they go buy in terms of what they will pay. Perhaps the next time they will need the photo for a bigger use and will pay you more.

8. giantdave macrumors member

i would take the 90, plus your name, and a limit license. plus maybe a free copy:D. just to make sure they dont give you just 90 bucks and then use it for everything they have forever

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

^this

10. redrabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a contract typed out for them to sign to say they can't use more than 1000 copies of my photo, and it can only be used for that one publication (and that I still retain rights, of course)