How much to charge for Web Design?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by aden78, Nov 2, 2009.

1. aden78 macrumors newbie

About a year ago I designed and built a website for a flooring firm very cheaply (£500) as I was only starting out. It is a bespoke CSS/HTML website consisting of around 30 pages and several flash slideshows. There is a link to the flooring website here. Sorry for the workaround, I wouldn't like for this to come up in client's google analytics.

They have used me since to do small updates, but now they would like to change the positioning and design of the slideshows (at least 10) to appear alongside the logo, incorporate a new drop down menu bar like this: (polyflor.com) and change the colour scheme. What would be a fair price? Also, what is the going rate to include a slideshow such as Slideshow Pro?

I would like to charge a fair price, and continue a working relationship with them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's a very loaded question. Depends on your experience, skill level, location of client, location of yourself, the time it will take you, if you want to go hourly, weekly, or by the job, etc. Some may demand a couple hundred, others will ask for thousands. It's not something we can answer for you.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

To expand on that, in detail, please visit this web site to start the process of discovering a good rate for your skills/experience:

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

That's a special form where you fill out your business expenses, personal costs, profit/savings desired, etc. to generate and ideal hourly and break even rate. When you come up with those numbers, then check them against comparable services IN YOUR AREA i.e. your city and state. Use resources like Craigs List and Payscale.com to determine starting salaries for your location. Then check what others have to say.

Just remember, the sequence I suggested above is the key - find out your costs, then salaries in your area, then personal advice from others.

There is no single rate that works for everyone. You never want to advertise a rate and be stuck with it, or piss off a client by tacking on charges due to modifications or changes after signing a contract. Better to be negotiated up front and simply mention overages are subject to the same rate per labor hour, whatever it is.

Now you know why I didn't simply give you a rate. It's because it REALLY DOES depend on experience, location, and current salaries in your sector and area - not just "most of us charge $x.xx" or "I've found that $x.xx works for me". You're not them. You're you.

This is a "professional" means of finding out.

-jim

4. aden78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I would like to charge per job, in case I come across issues, which wouldn't be fair to the client, who is based in my town. Any guide price that you'd say is fair?

Many thanks :)