How much to fix a 2009 MBP 15" keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drchiu, Jul 25, 2012.

1. drchiu macrumors newbie

I was wiping with a slightly damp cloth over my out of warranty 2008 MBP 15" keyboard.

Unfortunately I closed the lid a bit too soon and I think the moisture killed the circuit board beneath it.

The computer works fine otherwise.

Does anyone know how much to fix it usually?

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I must admit that I don't know how much the repair would be, but it would definitely require the disassembly of the whole computer, as when you turn it over and open it up, the keyboard is then right at the bottom - you would have to remove EVERYTHING. I doubt that would be cheap.

But first, lets try and get your current keyboard working. Water tends not to harm electronics in small amounts, but water + electricity can fry stuff pretty quickly. So, turn off your machine, get the battery out if it is the 2008 with removable battery, if it's the 2009 with built-in battery, look at iFixit.com and disconnect it. Store it for a while, even if just overnight, somewhere dry. If you can get fresh silica gel packs, use those. Maybe a warmish place with an air conditioner or just a dehumidifier may help as well. Then, after you have waited as long as you can, try again.

If that doesn't work, you could just get a bluetooth or wired keyboard and use it as a desktop for a while. The current wireless apple keyboard is so small that if you only use it on a desk, you could perch it on top of the failed keyboard and still have access to the touchpad.

Failing all that, subject to circumstances, this could be a good excuse to get a new Macbook of whatever flavour that would make me really jealous!

David