How Much To Partition in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bernerowner, Dec 27, 2009.

1. bernerowner macrumors newbie

I want to partition my hard drive and install Windows but for only one purpose. I have a camcorder with a hard drive and it isn't compatible with my Mac. I only want enough Windows space to download videos and nothing more.
    If anyone can answer my question, please contact me at: sfjohnson54@ymail.com.

I have another question and searched for it on this site but couldn't really find the answer I need.
    Would it be helpful to erase my hard drive (completely) and reinstall OSX and Leopard to help my system work more efficiently? When I purchased my Mac it came with Tiger and I installed Leopard on top of it. My son is a pc tech and die hard Windows user and he told me he erases his hard drive occasionally (using back up of course) and this helps his computer run better and load faster. I read somewhere that this is a "PC 'thing' and isn't necessary for Macs."
    I keep my hard drive clean using 'Clean My Mac', I delete history, cache, empty trash, etc. and have removed unnecessary apps that I installed that just take up space.
    If anyone has any advise on either of my questions, please contact me. I greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How large is your hard drive. I could recommend giving windows 250gig of space because of how much space videos take but if you only have a 200gig drive, that doesn't make sense.

If you're going to be downloading videos and such, estimate the size and how many you'll be keeping.

I'll guess that 100gig is where you want to start and go up.

Two pieces of advice, don't ask to be emailed the answer because someone else may want a similar question answered and if isn't posted here, it won't be helpful. Secondly, putting your email in post like that will cause you to get spammed since the web bots will pick up your email address.