How much to pay for iMac g3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CRAZYBUBBA, Aug 27, 2007.

1. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Specs:

350 mhz g3
    80 gb 7200 rpm HD
    1 GB Ram
    Panther installed with install disks
    Keyboard, upgraded mouse.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Geez, that's a pretty big hard drive for that set-up!

I bought a 600MHz "Snow" iMac G3 w/ 40GB HD a few months ago. I upped the standard 128MB RAM to 640MB by adding a single 512MB chip and upped the OS 9 to Panther. Works great as an iTunes / email / Camino computer at my mother's house. Only thing is, I've grown accustomed to razor-sharp flat panel displays and consequently I have a real hard time looking at the 13" CRT!

I was price-checking before I bought it in the spring. At that time that particular model would go $200 - $300 tops. I got mine for half that, though, because if I didn't buy it, it was going in a garage sale! There's a Mac store near me in Ontario that has several iMac G3's in stock for less than $100, but they're earlier models than you're looking at.

4. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

The question is: how much do you pay to look at 800x600 resolution?
    I would not pay anything for it anymore, most web sites are hard to read these days in 800x600. I retired my old iBook for that reason, it's a jukebox now.

5. Mac6272 macrumors member

criagslist 10 dollars anything more is a rip off since there good for nothing.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Unfortunately I must agree with Mac6272, the answer is "very little" .. :(

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

My iMac G3 works just fine in 1024 x 768, same is the iBook G4 I'm using now. Using Camino, all websites work great.

8. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Oops me bad. My G3 iBook is max 800x600. Didn't know there were 1024x768 G3's

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The RAM and HD look pretty good for it. If the screen is in great shape, then I'd think in the $100 to $150 range. The bummer about that system is the CPU is fairly slow. Does that machine have Firewire? If not, then I'd probably stay away.

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

LOL. This is a stumper.

It's been upgraded with RAM and a HD to run Panther.

But it's really too slow to use for anything. Unless you are like the turtles in the commercials that like everything to go slow. I don't believe any iMacs at 350 had firewire ports, and the USB ports are not 2.0, for sure. So you aren't going to be using any external devices with it besides keyboard and mouse (too slow for iPods). It's really too slow for browsing and email.

What could you possibly use it for? :confused:

I actually did use an iMac like that recently but just for a quick test (had to fix & test a bug for software running on a 10.2 client from a share on a 10.3 server).

I wouldn't pay much more than the value of the Panther discs alone would cost. Maybe the extra RAM (gotta be 2x512MB) is worth $40 on ebay to someone looking to run Panther on their old iMac.

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I just checked MacTracker and this model does have two firewire ports and USB 1.0 ports. So, if you have an older firewire iPod, you could use it for that. Of course, ripping CD's on that iMac is going to be slow going. I rescind my previous thought on price. I wouldn't go over a hundred, but well below that is best. Might it have an airport card? You could part that out!

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

on ebay you'll see lots of G3 imacs with buy-it-now prices in the $30 to $75 range. They don't have so much ram or as big a HD as the one you're asking about, so maybe pay up to $100 for the one you're interested in.

I used a G3 400 imac with panther and 768 ram for a while and found it to be ok for basic use.....but it was definitely slower than other computers I was using at the time

13. sigamy macrumors 65816

You can get an eMac for $129

I wouldn't go over $100 for this machine, even with the upgrades.

Wegener Media, a good reputable dealer, has eMacs starting at just $129. You'll get much better video card and a G4.
    http://www.wegenermedia.com/emac.htm

If you can get this iMac for dirt cheap it can still be great for word processing, email, basic web surfing, iTunes jukebox and a TV/DVD player. These are especially great for kids K-6 edu games running in Classic.

The problem I'm having right now is my 6 year old is using a bunch of Adobe Flash-based web sites like Club Penguin. These sites are dog slow on his iMac G3 400mhz. I think I'm going to pick up an eMac for him.

14. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Those are good looking prices for an eMac. And yes, that is money much better spent. A G4 is livable as a daily machine, a G3 not so much, for me anyway.

The prices at Wegener for PB ram is ridiculous (aka way too high).

15. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Absolutely. I'd say spending anymore that $25 for the last gen G3 imac is a ripoff and a complete waste of money.

Not long ago I bought a blue and white G3 350 rev.b powermac tower for $10.

16. &RU macrumors member

It may depend on what people are paying for those units in your area. I see people asking $50-$100 CDN for stock units in my area - in various classifieds including CL - on a fairly regular basis. The unit you list is nicely upgraded, if you don't think you will be doing any more upgrading on it - which is no fun at all. I would pay $50-$75 CDN and feel like I got a fair deal. These machines are still very productive. However, if you need to pay to have it shipped forget it - these machines are about 16 kilos and will probably cost you bas much to ship as the machine is worth.

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It's funny you should ask. The school my mom works at is getting rid of their old iMacs and is selling them all for $10 each. She got one for herself and I asked her to get me one, not sure if there are any left though.

They work fine, nothing wrong with them for everything Internet and typing etc. The one she got is running OS 9 is pretty snappy.