Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oakiegu007

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hi Everyone

My girlfriend currently has a G4 that's around 3+ years old. It's starting to go and she needs the hard drive replaced. It will cost 300 dollars. I told her at this point, that's silly to put into a computer that old (just my opinion). I have no intention on upgrading, but it just so happens that I DO have a macbook, and while it may not pay for her to ugprade, since she doesn't need any of the nicer features, we decided maybe it might be a good idea for her to buy this one off of me, and I get a new macbook. We're trying to figure out the market value for my old macbook, to see if it's worth it. I don't want to see her put 300 dollars into her computer that the mac guys said won't last much more than a year anyway and has multiple problems.

So here's what I have.

It's the Macbook Core Duo. NOT the 2. One of the first of it's kind i guess:)
It has a superdrive, not a combo drive. I have it upgraded to leopard and it has an 80GB HD, not a 60.
It was the top of the line macbook (at the time) 2GHZblack one. I've upgraded it to 2GB of ram and I also have around a year and a half left of the apple protection plan.

So, I give her a year and a half old computer, with a protection plan so she doesn't have to worry, extra ram, and she doesn't have to freak about her computer that's on the fritz. She's a writer, and not exactly a tech freak, and I worry about her losing everything because her computer is about to go. 300 bucks for a new hard drive? I can't rationalize that for a computer her age with problems that it has.

On that note, would an upgrade for me be worth it? Is there a noticeable difference between my first generation macbook intel core duo and the new processors?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Completed listings on ebay will give you a fair value idea for your machine.

$300 for a new HD??? Heck, I'll do that one for you! It should be able to be done for much, much less than that.

All of that aside, I think she'll love the new intel and it will serve her well for 4-5 years, based on your description of her use.

Yes, the C2D's seem zippier to me, but then they can take more RAM. For yourself, go for a refurb one with aftermarket ram and you'll save a couppla hundred bucks easy.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
What country do you live in? I suggest you look at local site where people buy/sell their stuff to get the general idea of price for it.

You are asking if its worth to upgrade to a faster MacBook, but you never told us how you use it. If you're just browsing net and writing papers, there's no point in upgrading, etc.

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'd research it on ebay & see what they are going for there.
It will give you a good idea as to what people are willing to spend.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Unless you're friends more then in a relationship, don't sell the damn thing to her! Give it to her.

If you can't afford that, it should only be $50 or so to replace the hard drive in her current computer if you just check ifixit for step by step on drive replacement.

oakiegu007

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
i don't think i'm being clear

her computer is slowly falling apart. it's not worth mcuh to begin with. i can't "give " her my computer. it has nothing to do with a relationship. number one, she won't let me, number 2, i siimply can't afford it. i don't want a new computer, shes' the one that does. i can't give her mine and buy another :)

if her computer will only last a year or so more, she needs one for the next few years for school. my macbook is more than adequate for that.

i do, however, game, and i am an amateur, yet avid photographer, that works with a lot of RAW files and find it extremely slow to do so, so it would be somewhat silly for her to buy a new macbookk but make sense for me...but i wasn't looking to upgrade, she just needs a new computer...so i'm not going to just give her mine. we're both grad students...i can't afford that and she refuses to take it as a gift, i offered multiple times.
let's not make this about ethics please.

ben.mcmahan

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
i've run into the same dilemma with my sister - as she wanted to buy my laptop from me (ibook g4 12" 1.33) when i was thinking about upping to an intel laptop.

The problem is I didnt fee comfortable asking FMV for the laptop from family, so either i had to give her such a deal, that it wouldnt really offset the cost of my new computer after price/tax/shipping, or i had to try and squeeze the max out of her (which neither of us were comfortable with).

I suggest finding a 'very fair' middle ground, and err on selling it to her a bit below FMV...of course this makes no sense financially to you, since you could sell it for more someplace else, and it sounds like you dont 'need' a computer, however nice it would be. It just depends on how much of a favor you are willing to do for her, and how much she is willing to accept.

I ended up keeping my ibook, btw. and now she has saved up enough to get a new computer (which she is very excited about).

best of luck
b

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
well, it does make sense to upgrade for you and her to move to your macbook. But changing the drive wouldn't need to cost as much. I just bought my mbp 17" hi-res and upgraded to 320Gb for 105. I've got a 80Gb drive laying around. \although it is sata, and I dunno what is needed in a G4.
So 200 bucks for mounting a hard drive is expensive, even in my book, and I use/bought this computer as a business item.
I think 300 bucks for a MB is a nice price, the older models sell overhere for anything between 450 and 700. Checking local sale/buy/ebay sites is a sensible thing to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.