Price Advice How much to sell for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaylorY, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TaylorY, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011

TaylorY macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I got a new MBP for school and I still have my old 2007-ish white macbook at home. The hard drive went kaput after a random shutdown during an update, and the place I went to estimated $200-300 for a replacement HD. My aunt is interested in a new laptop and I am wondering what exactly a 4 year old dead macbook is worth if I were to sell it to her and have her get the hard drive replaced. As far as I know, everything else is intact and functioning besides some minor cosmetic blemishes. The battery has probably 1/3 - 1/2 of the original capacity, but I bought it used. I was thinking about giving it to her for $100, but I feel like even then I could get more if I sold it for parts (speaking from the perspective of a poor college student). Thoughts, anyone?

MOD NOTE:

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. Thank you!

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Holy hell! This is a ten minute job which requires a $40 part (for 320Gb).

This is a really easy replacement, grab any 2.5" SATA drive and do the job yourself (guide here) to avoid being completely ripped off.

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'd do what AdrianK suggested then give your Aunt your Macbook. I'm sure when you were young and snot-nosed, she bought you plenty of stuff. :)

(Off topic: Where in SD do you live? I was born and partially raised in Belle Fourche.)

4. balamw, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Take note:
    EDIT: Reopened per new forum rules.

B