How Much To Spend On 2011 11'' Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mb237, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Mb237 macrumors newbie

Hello All, I have been reading these forums for awhile, but this is my first post. Thanks you all in advance for any advice.

My 2012 Air (with upgraded ram) has the dreaded "logic board needs to be replaced for $755" tag now attached to it... It just seems crazy to spend that much on a 2 year + old computer. My home computing needs have become pretty basic web browsing, streaming and torrenting. A local computer shop has a used Air "Core i5" 1.6 11" (Mid-2011) for $450. Is this a good price? how does this compare to a 2014 windows based laptop in the same price range? Should I just repair my broken air?

Thanks again for any input..

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I definitely wouldn't repair your Air. For 750, you could get a refurb 2013 Air through Apple with warranty. Remember the 2013 models have PCIe storage and a much better battery life.

As far as the 2011 for 450, ehh it's not terrible, but I wouldn't do it. I would try to get the money together for a 2013 or newer Air.

3. SherlockLogic macrumors newbie

$450 isn't a bad deal, depending on the shape of the MacBook Air in question. Also, 2011 Airs came standard with 2GB RAM and 64GB storage, that would almost certainly not be sufficient for just about anyone.

If you are looking to invest in a machine that will last, i recommend buying a refurb mid-2013 model from Apple for $719 (when they are in stock). Said model comes standard with 4GB RAM and 128GB storage. While not spectacular, it is double the standard 2011 model specs, and it also has 9 hour battery life!

4. Mb237 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response!

Are you weary of the 2011 air because of the $450 or its performance? I am assuming the price is negotiable. What if I can get it in the $350-$400 range? I agree that not fixing mine is the right move, but as i transition to mostly just using my Iphone 6+ hopefully in a few months, I feel I dont have that much use for a laptop, other than for downloading torrents, and general web browsing/streaming.. Is the 2011 not a good fit, even for those basic tasks?

Thanks again

5. Mb237 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I am looking to stay in that same $400-$500 price range.. Am i better off going to a windows machine with betters specs?

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I'm pretty sure the 2011 would do what you are needing just fine. I would try to get them under 400.

7. SherlockLogic macrumors newbie

If I were in your situation, I would probably go for the MacBook at your local computer shop, assuming it is in good condition. Even if it has 2GB RAM and 64GB storage, it shouldn't be a problem if you can work around the meager storage with an external drive. Full disclosure: I would personally never use anything but a Mac.

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

That was my plan when I bought my 2012 MBA with 64GB of Flash Storage. I planned on using a 500GB external when I lighted. The MBA is my travel only computer, my home machine is a modified Mac Pro. Anyway it was a Royal Pain and an Epic Fail. I ended up buying an OWC 500GB Aura Flash to replace the internal storage. The OWC unit was a real piece of crap and I returned it. I am now running with a Transcend JetDrive and it is working GREAT!

Lou

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If ur lucky enough to find a cosmetically damaged 2012 on eBay, or even a shattered screen one but logic board, supposedly still good, at a reasonable price.

Buying used, nobody ask for battery charge cycle, why not? you don't care to have to spend another $200 soon after u buy it. Don't even go third party battery, that's a losing bet, if u care about battery run time.