How much $ to spend repairing iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by javisan, Jul 16, 2007.

1. javisan macrumors regular

My 80gb iPod ($350) is still under warranty and has a damaged earphone jack. I took it to my local apple authorized seller to get it serviced but the customer service guy at the store told me it was probably not going to be covered under warranty because the jack looked "abused".

I'm from Puerto Rico, there are no apple stores in here and apple wont let me send my iPod by mail, so this is the only option I have. If they make me pay for the repair, how much should I be willing to spend in the repair vs. buying a new iPod.

Thanks in advance.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If you have AppleCare, I would still call it in. Just tell them that your headphone jack isn't working. I would think they would have a solution for sending it in.

Alternately, you can report it online.

3. javisan thread starter macrumors regular

I have applecare and already contacted them by phone, the only option I have for servicing is to take it to the authorized service center (CompUSA and a locas chain of stores). I tried reporting it online but it wont let me because of the address.

Apple treats Puerto Rico like a third world country.

And I'm sure that if I get it services at another place, apple will void my existing warranty if I ever need to get it serviced again.

The store guy told me it would be sent get inspected by the people Apple subcontracts here in Puerto Rico for warranty claims. If the damage would not be covered by warranty, they would let me know how much it would cost for the repair.

How much should I be willing to pay vs. buying a new iPod?

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That sucks. I'd let them send it in. I certainly wouldn't take the customer service guy's opinion. For a $350 iPod with AppleCare, I hope Apple takes care of you.

Getting it fixed for $100 or so vs. buying a new one is worth it. If they say it's not covered by AppleCare, I would push Apple harder to service it or have someone else look at it. Just because you're in PR doesn't mean Apple shouldn't give you a fair shake! Good luck and keep us updated.

5. sonofjabba macrumors member

I could fix it for you for about $50+/-10 dollars Apple wouldn't even realize it was worked on when I would be done with it. I'm really careful pulling apart the video's, unlike some of even Apple's service techs. They are real animals.
    Let me know. If you want to see my work I can email you stuff I've done. I've built a couple whole video ipods up from just a Frame & Logic Board. I'm not a stranger to them.

6. pjgeer macrumors member

The local after warranty ipod repair shop here in Toronto, charges $49.99 CAD for a headphone jack repair, while you wait, on an Ipod Video. So USD I would not pay more then $50. They do US service out of TN, and have a walk in location there as well.

If I can post a link (?) I will do so after it is ok'ed.

Pj

7. javisan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thank you for all your comments. I'll let you guys know what they tell me about the repair, but right now, after hearing what you guys said, I will refuse to pay more than $100.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

8. javisan thread starter macrumors regular

update

Hi guys, I got the call today from the service center directly, not from the ****** from the store, and he told me that the iPod didnt pass their test (whatever that means) and that apple would be sending another unit (probably a refurb) free of charge.

I'm so happy, I can now sleep at peace. Thank you guys for your help.