How much $ to upgrade later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 064629009, Aug 31, 2010.

1. 064629009 macrumors member

I'm not too sure how these things work, so don't mind my possibly stupid question: If I was to get an iPhone 4 now (for $159 on a contract), if I wanted to upgrade it to the iPhone 5 (or whatever) in the future (before the contract on my i4 is over), will I have to pay full price to upgrade my phone or will I just pay another $159 or so?
    If it helps, I'm in Canada with Rogers.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to call them and find out from Rogers.
    Not sure how long your contracts run up there and how they handle phone upgrades while still under contract and for how much depending on the agreement you signed.

3. Honda macrumors member

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The basic concept is:

When you buy a subsidised phone on a contract, you effectively pay the phone off by instalments over the life of the contract. What would happen if you get halfway through and decide to upgrade to the new one when it comes out is that you get to keep the original phone but having only paid for half of it.

It would have to be a promotion (ie like AT&T offered for iPhone contract holders to upgrade to the iPhone 4). Down here in Australia, such a thing would be outrageous, and even if you have 1 month left to go, the contract termination fee is 25% of the whole contract.

Contact your provider for more specific info. Generally, they favour those who spend much more over their minimum commitment.