How much trouble did you go to get your new Macbook Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james tuttle, Nov 4, 2008.

1. james tuttle macrumors newbie

How much trouble did you go to get your new Macbook Pro ?

Thinking of buying any apple product in the USA on line or by phone forget it if you're not a US resident. I was on a recent trip to California to 10/10/08 to 23/10/08, I wanted to buy a new MBP whilst on my trip to tie in with the new release and to save nearly $800 by buying it out of the UK

So this is my Saga, visited an apple store, sorry sir the MBP you want can be only purchased on line, thus I go on line only to find I cannot buy anything without having an American billing address for my credit card. What is all that about money is money global down turn and all that? Next I try to call apple to order it over the phone, same problem as on line !

The only way around this I was told was to buy an apple gift voucher from an apple store for the sum of the new MPR, thus the next day I went back to another apple store and brought a voucher, called apple and ordered the new MBP which I was told could be delivered before I left the US happy days ;-)

A day later a received an email to say there is a problem with the apple credit and please call apple, I call apple and because they have made a screw up and not processed my order the new MBP now cannot be delivered in time ;-(

Now the saga begins, I have to cancel my order as it cannot be delivered on time I then have to return to the apple store and try and get the apple voucher re credited back to my credit card. I spend 3 hours in store and on the phone to try and sort it out.

It turns out the apple store had charged my credit card twice a total of over $7000 !!!!! They have agreed to refund every thing and have apologized, but its now taken over a month and I have incurred charges on my card I have been promised that they will offer me some kind of good will gesture I am still waiting.

In the end I brought a new MBP via the UK and its just arrived and I am loving it. But what a pain to buy a new MBP I hope its worth it

James

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I walked 10 minutes to the Apple Store. I had to wait 30 minutes for them to install the RAM. I was bored but then I realized they had free Wi-Fi for my phone. I was mildly hungry at the time but I did not go to the food court. I had a blister on my finger from an oil burn the night before; that sucked trying to sign the credit card receipt.

[​IMG]

3. bananabar macrumors regular

Where do you live? 2002? I haven't signed a credit card slip for years!

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You must live in that techno-heaven called Japan where you just wave your phone like a magic wand?

Here in the north, we have to sign things... like the receipt showing that I picked up the purchase after they worked on it.

5. cmatt macrumors member

:D

i had a saga... i was down sarrf back home, and had to go to my fathers (he bought me my macbook)

i work for a uni so get a education discount.... so can only get the discount on line from my uni and had to setup the vpn connection :eek:

that didnt work... so had to remote desktop into my work pc whilst on holiday :eek:

...the end

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

1. Do your research, no one will sell you anything in a diff country without a credit/debit card as that is a often used scam.

2. Buy one in the country you are in as: it will have the same keyboard layout (uk/us etc) and the same power adapter - the us one would have needed an adapter to fit in the wall and maybe be the wrong voltage...

7. james tuttle thread starter macrumors newbie

1. So I can go in to apple store and use my credit card, but I cant pay for some thing on line or by phone how does that make sense the store does not know if its my card the same as the online store does not know if its my card ????, Well I travel allot and use my credit card all over the world and this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

2. Voltage is not an issue, nor is the adapter when you are saving $800

8. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I had to fist-fight a midget and mud wrestle a gassy lebanese man with a lisp to get my MBP :(

9. TheHoff macrumors 6502

How do you fist-fight a midget? Were you on your knees or just kicking him like a tiny-armed soccer ball?

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

My Apple store had a medium-sized dragon chained outside. Burned my favorite shirt, ugh.

Took a total of maybe an hour of being stuck at the apple store due to having to exchange it twice (on different days).

11. frijec macrumors member

Heres my story... The day after the event, I called my Apple Premium reseller here in Denmark to order one. After 20 minutes fo making a custom order and fixing a student discount payment, I settled on 2.4 MBP with 4gb ram and 320gb HD 7200rpm. Most people would say, why not go for 2.53? I couldnt as they wouldnt allow me to up the loan for that one, although it was only like 100$ more.

Anyways I placed the order and was told to check up on the 2 days later on the 17th of October. To my surprise I find out that the store didnt even put the order through until the 17th of October when I checked up on it. And on top of that I find out I'll have to wait a whole month till my precious MBP is here.

Order placed on the 17 of October, expected arrival date: 20th of November.

People complaining about 2 weeks delivery should be in my shoes :(

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Wow, you guys are making me feel guilty. I drove down to the store, went inside, had a mild panic attack on seeing the old laptops on display, but it turned out they just hadn't gotten the floor model glassbooks set out yet. I told the sales guy what I wanted, it he went and got it for me, helped me pick through the selection of bags/sleeves, then punched in my school info for the student discount, swiped my card, I signed the little payment gadget, gave my email for the receipt, and headed out. Then came the moment that struck me as some marketing genius by Apple. As I was leaving, I was not told the typical "Thank you" by my sales rep and the concierge. Instead, what both of them (separately) said to me was "Congratulations!"

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Here in Europe (well in my part of it...) its the opposite: they have the new floor models to drool over but no new MBPs in stock for which to actually give your money to Apple :eek:

14. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Neither. He was on stilts. :eek:

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Oh yeah, well I had to shave a rather hairy ~200 lbs. aichmophobic nun with a dull scissor & milk a rabid tree squirrel in heat.