How much trust do you place in cloud backup services for business data?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Jan 12, 2014.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I know I need to backup many of my files to some sort of cloud-based service, including my music collection and my business folders. But of course the latter include sensitive financial, tax, customer and personal-ID data, so I can't help but wonder about different services' security encryption, terms of service, and other issues that might keep that data from being as secure from prying eyes as it might be.... but of course losing that data to a drive failure would be just about as catastrophic....

What are your thoughts and preferences as far as putting sensitive business/financial data on the cloud?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I put my documents on the cloud with SkyDrive. I guess in there is some sensitive information in there, but I'm guessing the NSA already knows and Microsoft don't care.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My company uses Google Docs for some documents, so I'd say there's not a whole lot of worry there.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

You could keep your sensitive documents on an encrypted sparse-bundle disk-image. Then the only thing that's stored on the remote backup service are the sparse-image's encrypted "band" files.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_image

You can make new disk-images in Disk Utility.app. If you need specific instructions on exactly what options to use, ask again, and tell us your OS version (e.g. 10.8.4, 10.6.8).

5. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I would probably want to do something like for anything involving people's tax numbers, SS numbers etc. Mainly to guard against hackers and identity thieves. Of course, they can get that stuff just about anywhere else....

For the record, I'm using 10.6.8.