How much usag would raise flags about tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raphy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Raphy macrumors member

I was looking throught my new Iphone 3gs and this question hit me. I've read posts here saying to keep your tethering to a minimum becasue the vast amounts of data transmission could raise flags for AT&T (eventhough we have unlimited data).

So my phone says in the life of the account I've received 44.5 GB of data, I don't know if that's since last year when i got my 3g or the year before when i got the 2g. Either way i've not been shy with the usage of my Iphone and I've never tethered....untl like 3 days ago when someone posted how to activate it on 3.0.

Anyway to the question, I've essentially used between 1.8 gb and 3.7 gb of data a month, how much could tethering now cause AT&t to be concerned or even know i'm using it?...I podcast A LOT at work if your wondering.

All opinions welcome.

2. Axl Rose macrumors regular

you should be fine as long as you stay under 5 gigs a month.

3. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

You don't really pay for unlimited data with the $30 a month, you're really paying for 5 GB a month, but AT&T never tells you that. If you tether, you might actually hit that limit, so be careful. Most people haven't even hit 5 GB since they got their iPhone 3Gs last year, so you're in kind of a unique situation getting 2-3 GB a month. AT&T probably knows about it and will probably go after people who abuse their network only, not people who use their computers for tethering in very minuscule ways, so be careful.

4. Raphy thread starter macrumors member

Are you serious?? how can most people not have used 5gb since they've gotten it. I mean, whats the point of a phone that can do as much as the iphone (web surfing, youtube, stream podcasts, download apps) if you're not going to take advantage of it. I couldn't imagine not using it while on BART going to an A's game.

5. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I thought I used my iPhone's data plan pretty intensely until I came across this thread. I rarely download anything straight to it, but I'm always on Safari. I got it last July when it came out and yet, total received data since then is a very timid 1.5GB. I'm almost embarrassed.

6. Almy macrumors 6502

Pretty sure he meant in a month, not total since it came out.

7. Cartmants macrumors newbie

This would be an excellent example of False Advertising and FCC should step in (remember what they did to the makers of Yazmin Birth Control Pill?) This is a bunch of crap that it's "Unlimited" until you hit 5GB...:mad:

8. pflau macrumors 6502

ah its all a BUSINESS decision you see.. if AT&T came out and said there is a 5GB/mo cap then ppl would try to actually use that much data or else they either feel ripped off or that they would demand a lower price tier. if they say its unlimited data then nobody cares how much they use. personally I got my iPhone 3G the day it came out and as of today my LIFETIME data usage for the phone is ONLY 3GB.

very sneaky AT&T very sneaky..

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I just checked mine and it says "Statistics reset 8/4/07" and shows 547MB received. I guess I don't just sit there and say "I have a phone that can browse the web, so I'm going to browse the web as much as I possibly can, no matter what!" No, instead I say "Oh, I wonder where would be a good place to eat in this area....oh, I'll look it up real quick." Then I look it up, turn it off, and go about my way. Not everyone is a mobile-surfing junkie just because they have the ability. :rolleyes:

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess some of us take advantage of so many of those tasks using a full keyboard and larger screen from time to time. ;)

11. Raphy thread starter macrumors member

In all honesty, most of my usage is podcasts. I love listening to news, Bill Simmons podcast, and the Stuff you should know series. So essentially all that streaming adds up because my job requires me to be at a computer so i have one earbud in most of the day.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

since having my iphone 3g since august 2008, here is my total data usage

sent: 7.8MB
    received: 136MB

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you can, vary and minimize your usage. If AT&T should crack down, they're going to look at people whose data usage suddenly spiked from 500 MB to 2GB.
    Instead of worrying about your cap, focus on using tethering only for light surfing. If you do that, you're less likely to raise AT&T's ire.

14. phatcat macrumors regular

wow. I picked up my iphone at 11 am today and I'm already at 1.5GB downloaded. That doesnt' seem right??

15. hanurk macrumors member

just to clarify, what would you consider "light" usage?

i have received 529mb since december 2008 on my 3G.