How much useable disk on 128ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by deskjetian, Oct 6, 2012.

1. deskjetian macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying a MBA 13" with the 128gb SSD.
    Does anyone know how much useable disk space is available after OSX is loaded ?
    Thanks

2. scarred macrumors 6502a

About 106GB.

3. deskjetian thread starter macrumors newbie

4. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

5. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Anything we can do with the base installed OSX to get more free space like uninstalling stuff?

6. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Delete languages not used, which could save you 3gb or so.

7. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

How/Where is this done?

8. amzchhabra macrumors regular

mine formatted at 120.33GB according to Disk Utility, and installed at 114GB left after installing mountain lion.

9. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

nice!

10. Kurri macrumors 6502

good idea, never thought about that. will definitely delete languages if i start running out of room for some reason

11. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    You can try monolingual for what may be the easiest way. Also, the best thing you can do - regardless of whether you need the space or not, is to either delete or archive older files, photos, videos, music, etc on a regular basis.

Keeping things on your main drive just because is like keeping things in your closet or attic, just because. If you're not using stuff, move it to a separate hd and you'll be fine with a smaller 128gb ssd. I've been doing this on a quarterly basis and maintain about 70gb on my drive at any time. Older things get moved onto a separate G Tech drive. I've had to go back occasionally to grab an old image or file, but for the most part, older things that I've moved were deadweight on the ssd.

12. tiwizard, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

tiwizard macrumors regular

There's a guide with some info on how to save disk space on the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air (especially with those with smaller SSDs).

You can jump to the section about cleaning your computer if you aren't considering external storage solutions or upgrades. That has information on Monolingual and other methods of clearing space on your laptop.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You could try CCleaner (free from the app store) to clean out junk such as old caches from your MacBook Air's SSD. I haven't used CCleaner with Mac OSX before, however I have used it with Windows and it is a pretty well known and respected utility :)

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unlike Windows, with Mac OS X you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

For safely freeing up space, this may help: Freeing up space in Mac OS X

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, we are talking about disk space in this thread - No one mentioned system speed or efficiency :)

16. Efrem macrumors member

Archiving stuff you don't use much on an external drive is a great idea - but make sure you have a backup for that too. You may need two external drives or a whole lot of cloud storage. If you're talking about enough disk space to matter, the cloud approach can get expensive.

"There are only two kinds of people: those who have lost data because of a drive failure, and those who will."

17. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Other than antivirus (which actually now I think about it, is built into Windows 8) you don't need third party "cleaner" or "maintenance" tools on Windows either. On both platforms, there may be some benefits to one or two utilities if they're used by people who understand how they work and the risks vs. benefits of them.

It seems wrong to complain about myths of one kind while being guilty of spreading others.

And as the OP is explicitly talking about disk space, then utilities that do nothing more than free up disk space are hardly off-topic.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The problem is apps like CCleaner do more than simply free up space, especially in the hands of a new Mac user who may not be familiar with what should and shouldn't be deleted. An app like Monolingual can remove unwanted languages and architectures, which would free up space without risk that the user might remove something else that would negatively impact performance, as CCleaner could. It is entirely appropriate to warn users about such apps, as there have been many who reported problems after using such apps.

19. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

So understand things before you use them. Like I said already. Got it.