How much weight reduction on removal of Superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jiddick ExRex, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Seeing as how easy it is to remove the Superdrive and put in a second HD, how much weight do you think one can save by doing so in the new MBP and in the old model?

I was thinking about buying an external drive and have that on my desk only. I only use it to watch dvds anyway, so...

2. simplify macrumors newbie

I have never used the drive on my current macbook. And 5lbs is still a bit heavy for carrying it every day without having to decide to do it.

I've been thinking about a MBA, but I just thought of getting a new mac book at 4.5 lbs and removing the superdrive to see how close it would be to MBA weight (3 lbs). The best info I could find is that the superdrive weighs about 225 grams or 0.5 lbs.

That makes a 4.0 lbs macbook (without drive) with more everything else than the MBA for a lot less cash. I'm not sure the extra money is worth the 1 lbs saving and the sexy thinovation / compromises of the MBA.

I'm also not sure if that would make the macbook feel lopsided in weight for use and carrying.

Does anyone know if there is a significant weight difference between a 160GB hard drive and a 128GB SSD?

Thinking, thinking......

3. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I would also like more information on this. As the previous poster said, I am also concerned if this would make it lopsided (in weight)

4. jTreu macrumors 6502

if you put in a second hd it would balance it out, otherwise yea it would be pretty lopsided.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The super slim slot-loader used in MacMini, MacBooks and MacBookPros are extremely light, can't be more than 100~200grams max. They're light cause it's made from Aluminium and is only 9mm high.

7. eddy64 macrumors regular

imho, its going to feel a little lopsided when you hold it from the middle, but I highly doubt you're gonna notice if you put it on a desk (obviously :p) or if you're just carrying it around. Try it and let us know ;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

About 6 oz (170 g) if you remove the SuperDrive only.

9. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Ok thanks. I have really been wanting to buy just a MacBook when my MBP gets retired, picking out the SuperDrive and getting a slightly heavier Air with upgradeability options :)

10. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Great. I think I'll be trying the same thing on my new MBP when it arrives, just to go down to 5 pounds.

Steve, can you hear us? There are some users who need the internal drive and would gladly pay the same amount of money for a laptop that has been stripped of it just to be a tad lighter (and possibly even thinner)...

11. Halon X macrumors regular

I'd love to see something with a modular design, 2 bays in the front that can accept either a second hard drive or battery, a superdrive or blank caddy.

Primary HD would be in one bay (easy to remove for security or upgrade), 2nd bay would allow flexible options including reduced weight by running it empty.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

My old Dell Inspiron 4100 was similar to that, except the HD was in a side bay, one front bay was the battery and the other bay was the optical drive. With both front bays empty, the machine was too light in the front and if you had the display back too far, the machine could fall backward.

13. sergev macrumors member

You don't realy need a caddy for the stock drive, but for the optical drive it would be more than perfect! If you could choose between a optical drive a second hard drive and a empty caddy that would be genius. It doesn't even have to be like on some other windows notebooks but more like the way you remove the hard disk now. You remove the bottom cover and you can acces the battery, hard disk and optical caddy.
    I am planning to put to ssd's in there that are about 75 grams, meanwhile the optical drive is 170 grams and a hard disk is 120 grams. Together that is 290 grams against 150 grams. Still saves a lot on weight!
    Of course relativity speaking there a more users that use the optical drive than users that are willing to replace the optical drive with a hard drive. Apple please give us a option to choose! (just like the glossy-matte displays)