how much will 3g improve basic web browsing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azngamer808, Feb 6, 2008.

1. azngamer808 macrumors member

i'm reading bits and pieces in different places that 3g will only be beneficial for things like video chat and downloading large files. but as far as basic web browsing, 3g won't be much better than edge cus of the way web pages are loaded, or something like that. i havn't really seen a general concensus on this topic so i just thought i'd ask. thanks! :)

2. O3DigitalBath macrumors newbie

I'm not really sure what those people were talking about, It's for sure a faster connection and should have faster web browsing

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Faster than EDGE, slower than WiFi (usually). Not available in all areas, and uses a fair amount of battery.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Tests on other 3G phones with comparable CPU speed, shows about two to four times quicker speeds.

In other words, if it took thirty seconds for a page before, it might take only ten seconds under 3G.

The limiting factor is the device. If you tether a powerful laptop via a 3G phone, you get really fast speeds.

The best thing about 3G will be that you can do the internet thing while taking or making phone calls.

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's something I keep forgetting, and might actually get me to upgrade. I could care less about 30 seconds versus 10 seconds. I'm a pretty patient person, and that difference is pretty insignificant to me. But being able to browse AND receive/do phone calls is a pretty huge deal.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The iPhone processes webpages faster than most 3G phones, thus making it seem faster.

Im for 3G and all, but it would be so much better for the iPhone 2 to have 4G, and ATT should be working on their 4G network instead of 3G. ATT is behind..

7. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

When you are online using EDGE do you at least get notification that you have an incoming call?

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

no, it goes straight to voicemail.

with 3G, this won't be an issue.

i always thought that would be an issue, but remember, the only time the call WON'T go straight to you is when a page is loading. It's not like when you are in Safari on EDGE you will never get a incoming call.

9. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

So as long as the page I am looking at is loaded I will still get the call?

If so, that is not bad, I can handle that.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, like if your looking at weather, and is updating still and you see the little status icon swirling around up top, it will most times go your voicemail. Once it's done updating, then yeah you'll be able to get the call.

It isn' that much of a inconvenience

11. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Everyone concentrates on speed. 3G chokes too. I hope 3G on the iPhone will allow data transfers during calls like my old 3G phone. The iPhone is supposed to allow this function when using wi-fi, but it NEVER works for me. So after a phone call, I see that I have several emails or while talking I cannot check my mail or surf the web. That is why I anticipate 3G.

12. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

If you're in a good 3G area, data speeds will be only slightly slower than 768k DSL. The highest speed I've gotten on 3G with my Samsung phone is ~730kb/s, but normally I get 350-400kb/s. With EDGE, the highest speed I've managed to get is 150-200kb/s, with normal speed being 90-140kb/s.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think the OP is referring to bandwidth vs. speed. 3G can tackle a broader stream of information (110100101101010011010011) which is ideal for flash - youtube - embedded video. But if a website is only sending (100101) then Edge vs 3G is nominal in loading a simple page.

14. jbellanca macrumors 6502

You're right that it's not available everywhere... but this is an overused excuse. It's available in 270 metro areas across the US and will be in 80 more in 2008. So... that kind of covers a very large portion of US residents. Not everyone, but definitely a whole lot than a lot of people here give it credit for.

15. erandall38 macrumors 6502

seen the new iPhone commerical where they search for the audi?
    Thats how fast!
    ... haha ya I wish.

16. biffstephens macrumors newbie

Are you guy really that unhappy with Edge? I for one am comming from 3G and it is faster BUT there are disadvantages that go along with that...is this simply wanting fast because it is fast?

I for one am happy with Edge....I actually don't want 3G because of the battery downfall....I spent 6 months with a phone and an extended battery recharging it before the day was done....to me it is not worth the speed and for me 75% of the time I am on a WIFI connection....

You guys shoulf get a 3G smart phone and use one before you start wishing for a 3G iphone....when they improve battery life then they should do the phone...IMHO that is why it is taking so long...they simply dont want the bad user exp...

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Yes. I am unhappy with EDGE - with the exception of 5% of the time when I have PERFECT coverage.

Less than 4 bars I click a website and set my phone down for a minute.

18. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

If the 3G iPhone is HSDPA as the latest AT&T announcement hints, the data will be even faster. Currently most handsets seem to support up to 3.6Mbit/s but the system seems very easy to upgrade compared with previous systems. O2 in the UK is also upgrading to HSDPA....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSDPA

19. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

3G = old technology.

The next iPhone needs HSDPA at least.

20. fiftydollarshoe macrumors regular

I noticed this the other day... I was doing some browsing and when I completed 2 voicemails came through... I thought that was strange as nobody had called me... what I forgot that when browsing on EDGE or regular cell network you can't receive calls.....

21. moel macrumors 6502

Must be an american thing...or i have no friends..i've never had the phone divert while it loads up a page.

22. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Must be the latter! :D

It won't divert if you are using EDGE. The caller goes straight into your voicemail.

23. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

HSDPA is a 3G technology.

24. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Yeah I guess if EDGE is 2.75G HSDPA is 3.25G or 3.5G!!!!