How much will a macbook refurb cost (UK)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Theirishjoey, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Hey all.

In February I hope to buy a White 2.1ghz Macbook(my first mac ever!) (the one you can currently still buy) with a variable amount of RAM and HDD space.

If anybody in the UK has any experience with the pricing it would be much appreciated as there aren't any currently on the refurb store so I can't check how much it would cost.

Joey

EDIT:Also how often/when is the apple refurb store updated?

2. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Hi there. The current white MacBook sells for £599 regularly on the refurb store. Have been tempted myself many times. Should now come with iLife 09 or at least the cheap upgrade. Check just after 8 am each morning.

Good price though it is I am holding off for the replacement in aluminium at the same price :D We shall see. It is a vastly different machine. Will get one in duty free next time I pass through.

On a side note flew to The Great White North from LHR last week and had a look at the MacBookAir in the TAX free area. They are only still trying to flog the old model. So be careful. They did have the White MacBook for £605 though.

3. Theirishjoey thread starter macrumors member

£599? Wow that's a good deal!

Do you mean a base model alu. for £599?

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

No there the whitebooks

Apple recently upped the price of the refurbs.

I brought my refurb whitebook back in November for £529 there now up to £599

5. RedRiver macrumors newbie

I bought an MacBook 2.1Ghz for someone in November too just before VAT went down - £539 i paid. I'm not sure why they have gone up to £599 for the same spec. Remember though with theses ones you don't get a SuperDrive. Hopefully they are about to start refurbing the latest and last WhiteBooks which DO include a SuperDrive.

I also just a week ago picked up an iMac from the Refurb store, my advice is always go for a refurb if you have the instant funds.

6. Theirishjoey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I won't have the funds till February but I can't wait to get my first mac! I'm sure I'll be back even more once I have my mac! :)

7. chapmac macrumors member

Hi - prices in the UK refurb tend to vary a lot, and occasionally there are very good deals to be had. However, you need to check every day as the store is updated every day. Also, you need to be prepared to 'strike while the iron is hot' as macbooks tend to sell very quickly when they appear. The deal may well be gone the following day.

An excellent time to buy is often right after a refresh as Apple look to sell off old stock via the refurb store. I bought my refurb blackbook SR 2.2 right after the speed bump last year and paid £659 for it against a retail of £949 - a 30% saving. Most of the time the discounts are about 1/2 that. I've only seen them that cheap once since. Bought a 3g ipod last year too right after the 4g update and managed to get an 8gb unit for just £72. The week before they were on sale at £129! It was absolutely brand new.

If you want a white MB then don't pay more than £600 for it, they have been in the refurb store for as little as £539 before, and when they phase them out completely I reckon you could bag a bargain. Difficult to say what an alu macbook will be as none have appeared yet as far as I now, by IMO I'd be surprised if they came in anything less than about £800 to start with.

Remember that if you are a student you can get discount anyway - sometimes the difference between the discount and refurb price is very little so that's worth checking too.

Hope this helps.

8. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I'd imagine when the alu MB comes in it will be about £820-£880.

I was going to buy a whitebook in november from the refurb store when they were £529, but after waiting about 3 weeks and one never came. I then had a look at comet and they were selling it for £599 brand new, then it went to £587 after the tax drop!! So obviously I snapped it up. But sadly they've stopped selling it.

On a side note, there is a MBA on the refurb store for £749 that had been there since I first started looking at the start of november. Shows the demand for them.