How much will Apple charge to replace my palmrests? And will it fix my problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattcube64, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hi guys!

I have a 1st Gen Macbook (White). Anyways, a few months ago, the edge of the palmrest closest to me, where my right wrist lays, started to crack...

Then, several weeks ago, my clicker below my trackpad started making a very loud "CLICK" (lol... obviously) sound. It's actually a bit distracting when in the library or something. Also, it seems a little less responsive then it's supposed to be.

And now, the area below my left wrist is beginning to crack.

So, my first question is: If I take my computer to the Apple store (I do not have Applecare, just fyi), how much will they charge me to replace the palm rests?

AND: Is a new "clicker" part of a "palmrests package?" And would getting it replaced likely reduce the "clicking" problem?

Thanks!

2. California macrumors 68040

California

If it is still under Applecare, there should be no problem replacing it for free.

If not, instead you should take it to an independent Apple Certified Tech near you and pay to have a new palmrest/trackpad put on BUT since they charge by the hour, you should also upgrade the hard drive at the same time.

I suggest this because they will charge you by the hour for taking apart the MacBook and you might as well throw some new hardware in there while the laptop is open.

I do have to say this trackpad problem sounds like a warranty issue.

Hope you have Applecare.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The OP stated they don't have AppleCare, and a 1st gen Macbook is older than 1 year. However, since this was a very known issue, I think they will still fix it for free. Your best bet is to call up Apple and ask.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Same here with the same MB.

I'm taking mines to the store soon.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

A guy at work reported that yesterday he had apple replace a cracked palmrest, and it was 3 months after the warranty. I don't think it matters, but he was in Orlando, FL area. It only took a hour, about the same time as when I had it done.