How much will be 15" refurb when Haswell is out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wmage, May 26, 2013.

1. wmage macrumors member

It's $1,599 right now, which is already about $600 less than new. (http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display)

So do you think we can expect the price to drop even more once Haswell is out? Because that would be fantastic...

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I think my main criteria is Retina and the screen size. So I would rather get an older 15 inch then a brand new 13 inch.

Of course unless they come up with some crazy new technology, like 12 hour battery life, or integrated 3G/4G, then I will consider getting the 13 inch...

But this refurbished Retina sounds like a fantastic deal... What do you think?

2. thecurryman macrumors 6502

i should drop, but i doubt by too much...maybe a hundred or so...that being said, an older 15 rmbp is still going to be a great deal!

3. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

for normal use is a perfect machine. the only thing that is keeping me from hit the trigger is only 8 giga.... I think I'll wait for a haswell base model with 16 gb of ram.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I don't see 16 GB RAM standard with Haswell, even for the 15".

5. wmage, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

wmage thread starter macrumors member

I wish RAM was upgradeable... Well, the 16GB/256GB model was listed at $1,949, but not available right now. Maybe you should just wait a couple of weeks and see.

And heh, normal. I'm currently using Hackintosh with quad-core i5, 16GB RAM and integrated graphics and it's already plenty for my work. (Ruby, Python IDEs, Xcode, etc.) So I think this base model Retina will be amazing. (Except for the RAM I guess, but I guess I won't need virtual machines on the go.)

I bought a Retina MBP once, after they came out, but returned it because of the ghosting issue... I didn't get AppleCare back then, and I'm planning to do so now, so I will feel more confident even if there are issues with the screen. Anyway, $1,599 + $239 = $1,840, compare that to $2,200 that I payed last summer, ugh!

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Standard configurations only went to 8 last year. There is virtually no chance that 16 will be the norm. You'll have to look for one in the spec you want. This means at least a couple months after the Haswell launch, and it will still be difficult to find. This does however prove my point that those who expected minimal depreciation were out of their minds. Apple has become much more aggressive on refurbished pricing, and I would trust one of their refurbs over a used machine from someone else.

7. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I was talking about a BTO of the standard model...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple discounts their prior model about 12% though you may find better deals from other retailers who wish to unload their old inventory.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I was saying that 16GB btos of the standard model rarely seem to show up in the refurb section, as I thought you were still talking about future refurbished units.

B+H sometimes has ridiculously good prices on discontinued stock. It varies though.