Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
What should I expect to get for an iPhone 5s in good to great condition from AT&T or Apple after release of the new phones?

I'll be buying new phones this fall. I figured we'd trade in our phones with AT&T -- they had better price than Apple and Gazelle was a good bit lower.

But my wife is considering gifting them to our teenage nieces. We need to estimate the phones' trade in value to figure how it fits in our gifts budget for them.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Unless they do some promotions like last year where they took losses on trade-ins to keep customers, then you'll likely only get around $150-175 by my estimation. If you sell them yourself on eBay/Amazon/Swappa/Craigslist, then I'd probably estimate around $250-275.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
i dont trust ebay or craiglist

ebay buyer return your devices and they blame our fault

craiglist buyer meeting stranger

best idea sell to friend or someone u know

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Very good luck selling my 3,4,4s on ebay. For some reason the 5 took 3 tries. Newbie buyers would change their mind and forget to release the product so I could relist. A real pain, but it still made over 300. iPhones hold their value quite well if they're clean.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
Thanks for the perspectives.

I sell a little bit on eBay. But with the increasing fees, I've lost interest in eBay, and the horror stories about laptops and small electronics have kept me away from selling past iPhones. I'll likely trade in with Apple or AT&T like last year.

Indian Devil

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2014
I bought a mint condition unlocked 6 a few days back for $475 with warranty till Dec. So I guess it was a good deal. Mint unlocked 5s were available around $315 so guess you will be able to get $250 or less after 3 months (provided you get it unlocked).

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
ebay 10% charger for seller
so if iu sell 300 ebay take 30 bucks
and shipping 10-20 dollar more

after 14 days buyer return for any reason they want to you still have to refund their money back - that policy from ebay

i never sell electric on ebay only women access that wont issue too many

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the perspectives.

I sell a little bit on eBay. But with the increasing fees, I've lost interest in eBay, and the horror stories about laptops and small electronics have kept me away from selling past iPhones. I'll likely trade in with Apple or AT&T like last year.
Check out swappa, I've sold and bought phones there and its a nice site. I feel a little better on that site then ebay.

Reactions: Applejuiced

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have sold my phones for years via Craigslist because you don't pay any fees, but last year I traded in at Best Buy for the first time because they were offering a promotion that put the trade-in within $100 of what I could expect to get for my phone best-case on Craigslist, and I didn't have to spend any time dealing with it, and I got to keep the cable and charger. Made it close enough that I considered it a wash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.